• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issue with RedWing Boots - is this normal?

bob99

Reaction score
I bought a pair of RedWing 4311EE AM BR boots on January 12, and I've worn them 4-5 days a week. In a bit less than two months, the tread on the boots has worn down considerably, to the point that I can't wear them on icy sidewalks since there is very little tread remaining.

Is this typical for RedWings? I bought these because they were supposed to be great boots, but I'm pretty disappointed by this. I find the level of wear to be unacceptable. They were just under $200, and I expected them to last longer than 2 months. I've had other boots that haven't show this level of wear after years of use. I'm pretty gentle on them - I'd say 75% of the wear is indoors in an office.

I wrote to RedWing, but have received no reply. In the meantime, can someone please recommend a new pair of boots?

I've attached three photos - the boots a few days after I got them, and then two photos taken tonight of the wear.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar thing has happened to mine, but not soo soon (over 2 years wear).

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i've had mine for a year with quite a bit of use and they dont look that bad yet.
but honestly, the tread on them is pretty minor, i didnt think it would even make much of a difference on ice...

smw356

Reaction score
my 875's havent worn that much in 2+ years, of being worn about once a week. That said they sucked on ice new, they suck on ice now, and I can only assume they will continue to suck on ice in the future.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, you blow thorugh rubber faster than an S2000 and a sunset strip hooker combined.

I'd be:

A. contacting red wing for a new pair.

B. talking to a podiatrist to see if your gait and posteur has any hand in that. seriously ridicuolous wear for 2 months.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised when people post about leather variations, fit variations between the left and right boot, and quality issues such as what's posted above.
Red Wing's quality dipped many years ago, and hasn't been anywhere NEAR a "high quality boot" for quite some time.

hollowsleather

Reaction score
Red Wing's quality is still greater than that of the Chinese outsourcers that make up 90% of the shoe/boot market. They're no White's/Wesco/Nick's, but they're also half the price or less.

I think that a lot of the hubbub over quality results from people buying "NOT FACTORY SECONDS!" that are most certainly factory seconds off of eBay. If you walk into a Red Wing shoe store, you're also able to look at your pair firsthand.

Crepe soles are also designed for farm work, not concrete, and isn't this particular issue more about Vibram's quality than Red Wing's?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The crepe soles are very soft and were not designed to be used on hard surfaces ie concrete.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hollowsleather
Crepe soles are also designed for farm work, not concrete, and isn't this particular issue more about Vibram's quality than Red Wing's?

This is key, since Redwings does not make the crepe sole in-house.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Normal for that kind of sole. Relax, they're easy and cheap to resole.

bob99

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for the replies.

I was steered towards these boots by a salesperson - I asked for something that would hold up during outside wear, on ice and snow, in the city. I think I was sold the wrong pair, which is frustrating, since I bought them at a RedWing authorized store.

Damn these crepe soles! If only I owned a farm.

Classically

Reaction score
Just blow $344 on a pair of Indy Boots from Alden and that should keep you satisfied for at least five years.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classically
Just blow $344 on a pair of Indy Boots from Alden and that should keep you satisfied for at least five years.

Not even remotely the same kind of aesthetic.

nairb49

Reaction score
Does this qualify as a crepe sole? I thought a crepe sole was that gummy type of sole on Clarks...

wttm

Reaction score
Crepe soles on Clarks are horrible on icy/wet grounds and I think RW calls them crepe soles as well.
Try to call RW, I think I read from somewhere that they do resole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads