1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with RedWing Boots - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bob99, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bob99

bob99 Senior member

I bought a pair of RedWing 4311EE AM BR boots on January 12, and I've worn them 4-5 days a week. In a bit less than two months, the tread on the boots has worn down considerably, to the point that I can't wear them on icy sidewalks since there is very little tread remaining.

Is this typical for RedWings? I bought these because they were supposed to be great boots, but I'm pretty disappointed by this. I find the level of wear to be unacceptable. They were just under $200, and I expected them to last longer than 2 months. I've had other boots that haven't show this level of wear after years of use. I'm pretty gentle on them - I'd say 75% of the wear is indoors in an office.

I wrote to RedWing, but have received no reply. In the meantime, can someone please recommend a new pair of boots?

I've attached three photos - the boots a few days after I got them, and then two photos taken tonight of the wear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Similar thing has happened to mine, but not soo soon (over 2 years wear).

3. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

i've had mine for a year with quite a bit of use and they dont look that bad yet.
    but honestly, the tread on them is pretty minor, i didnt think it would even make much of a difference on ice...

4. smw356

smw356 Senior member

my 875's havent worn that much in 2+ years, of being worn about once a week. That said they sucked on ice new, they suck on ice now, and I can only assume they will continue to suck on ice in the future.

5. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Wow, you blow thorugh rubber faster than an S2000 and a sunset strip hooker combined.

I'd be:

A. contacting red wing for a new pair.

B. talking to a podiatrist to see if your gait and posteur has any hand in that. seriously ridicuolous wear for 2 months.

6. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm a bit surprised when people post about leather variations, fit variations between the left and right boot, and quality issues such as what's posted above.
    Red Wing's quality dipped many years ago, and hasn't been anywhere NEAR a "high quality boot" for quite some time.

7. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

Red Wing's quality is still greater than that of the Chinese outsourcers that make up 90% of the shoe/boot market. They're no White's/Wesco/Nick's, but they're also half the price or less.

I think that a lot of the hubbub over quality results from people buying "NOT FACTORY SECONDS!" that are most certainly factory seconds off of eBay. If you walk into a Red Wing shoe store, you're also able to look at your pair firsthand.

Crepe soles are also designed for farm work, not concrete, and isn't this particular issue more about Vibram's quality than Red Wing's?

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

The crepe soles are very soft and were not designed to be used on hard surfaces ie concrete.

9. onion

onion Senior member

Crepe soles are also designed for farm work, not concrete, and isn't this particular issue more about Vibram's quality than Red Wing's?

This is key, since Redwings does not make the crepe sole in-house.

10. robin

robin Senior member

Normal for that kind of sole. Relax, they're easy and cheap to resole.

11. bob99

bob99 Senior member

Hello everyone, thanks for the replies.

I was steered towards these boots by a salesperson - I asked for something that would hold up during outside wear, on ice and snow, in the city. I think I was sold the wrong pair, which is frustrating, since I bought them at a RedWing authorized store.

Damn these crepe soles! If only I owned a farm.

12. Classically

Classically Senior member

Just blow $344 on a pair of Indy Boots from Alden and that should keep you satisfied for at least five years.

13. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

Just blow $344 on a pair of Indy Boots from Alden and that should keep you satisfied for at least five years.

Not even remotely the same kind of aesthetic.

14. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

Does this qualify as a crepe sole? I thought a crepe sole was that gummy type of sole on Clarks...

15. wttm

wttm Senior member

Crepe soles on Clarks are horrible on icy/wet grounds and I think RW calls them crepe soles as well.
    Try to call RW, I think I read from somewhere that they do resole.

16. Floating House

Floating House New Member

I had a similar problem with a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers I had briefly. After 8 days of around-town wear the soles looked like they were a year old.

17. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Another question regarding Redwings (heritage line): has anyone else noticed that they scratch remarkably easy? Does anyone know of an alternative boot choice that does not scratch quite so easy? Or are some models of Redwing heritage more resistant to scratching than others?

18. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

They're workboots.

I don't know what's wrong with you then because the Iron Ranger soles are incredibly hardy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

Yes. Understood. But the Beckman is supposed to be a dress boot isn't it (whatever that means)? I didn't know if the same expectations applied as with an ordinary work boot. I actually don't much mind the scratches since I don't go anywhere fancy anyhow. But I wouldn't see them more scratched than necessary.

20. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

The Beckman is in no way, shape, or form, a dress boot. It's a blucher with a snub toe and a tread sole, and the upper is composed of RW's own proprietary version of Chromexcel. Workboot is it's DNA. A dress boot would be something like Allen Edmonds' Fifth Street or Daltons, much sleeker and made with a lighter calfskin and leather sole.

Perhaps in the earlier 1900s things were different.