• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issue with new RTW Lobb's (Hermes)

ralphwho

Reaction score
Seems to me you are at fault for not buying Lobb's conditioner. Seems strange to try saving on that given the price of the shoes. While many people believe that Lobb's conditioner is re-branded Saphir, that is not so

Go back to the shop, apologize and buy the right kit this time, your other alternative is to grow to an acceptable height, after all if you are a UK 7.5 the last thing you should worry about are the creases in your shoes as they will be hidden from most people that matter- by your head

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[ Go back to the shop, apologize and buy the right kit this time, your other alternative is to grow to an acceptable height, after all if you are a UK 7.5 the last thing you should worry about are the creases in your shoes as they will be hidden from most people that matter- by your head[/quote]

I'm 7.5 and i'm 5'10/11.

Don't be heightist..

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ralphwho
Go back to the shop, apologize and buy the right kit this time, your other alternative is to grow to an acceptable height, after all if you are a UK 7.5 the last thing you should worry about are the creases in your shoes as they will be hidden from most people that matter- by your head

What?

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Seems to me you are at fault for not buying Lobb's conditioner. Seems strange to try saving on that given the price of the shoes. While many people believe that Lobb's conditioner is re-branded Saphir, that is not so Go back to the shop, apologize and buy the right kit this time, your other alternative is to grow to an acceptable height, after all if you are a UK 7.5 the last thing you should worry about are the creases in your shoes as they will be hidden from most people that matter- by your head
Way to contribute useless words...
Originally Posted by brokentelephone
I bought a few pairs of Lobbs recently and couldn't be happier with most of them, but am having a real issue with my black Becketts
What sizes are your other John Lobbs? Do your shoes feel big? If not, then they should not be too big. Could be the shape of the shoe (last). If you have a slightly wider foot and this last happens to be on the narrow and long side then it makes sense that with that excess toe space there would be wrinkling in the toe box. Another, not-so-common idea is that the upper of that shoe was cut from the looser part of the hide. When a shoemaker cuts leather for shoes, the part that is the best and tightest is the part near the spine and what is closer to the belly area is usually softer, less durable and more prone to wrinkles which just might be the case with your pair. This is more common in cheaper shoes but considering the way things are going economically, it would not surprise me if higher end companies start to cut corners.

ralphwho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
[ Go back to the shop, apologize and buy the right kit this time, your other alternative is to grow to an acceptable height, after all if you are a UK 7.5 the last thing you should worry about are the creases in your shoes as they will be hidden from most people that matter- by your head

I'm 7.5 and i'm 5'10/11.

Don't be heightist..[/quote]

that is surprising to me. I guess either my feet are too long (I'm 6'1) or yours are too short, probably dangerously so. The important thing is that we all buy Lobb kit

Obviously i am trying to be funny here and failing as usual - on a more interesting note, last week i got to see a "Jermyn 15" in Lobb's jermyn shop- i was told it was a prototype for a new special edition for 2011

They look beautiful, my favourite in the shop - and to be had by "just" £700's

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 7.5 and i'm 5'10/11.

Don't be heightist..

that is surprising to me. I guess either my feet are too long (I'm 6'1) or yours are too short, probably dangerously so. The important thing is that we all buy Lobb kit

Obviously i am trying to be funny here and failing as usual - on a more interesting note, last week i got to see a "Jermyn 15" in Lobb's jermyn shop- i was told it was a prototype for a new special edition for 2011

They look beautiful, my favourite in the shop - and to be had by "just" £700's[/quote]

On a more serious note, how is the Jermyn 15?

I always wanted a pair of Jermyn but they're discontinued and I have better things to buy...

I have small feet...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
The plain toe of the beckett will probably have more pronounced creases than a captoe.

why?

ralphwho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Way to contribute useless words...

What sizes are your other John Lobbs? Do your shoes feel big? If not, then they should not be too big. Could be the shape of the shoe (last). If you have a slightly wider foot and this last happens to be on the narrow and long side then it makes sense that with that excess toe space there would be wrinkling in the toe box. Another, not-so-common idea is that the upper of that shoe was cut from the looser part of the hide. When a shoemaker cuts leather for shoes, the part that is the best and tightest is the part near the spine and what is closer to the belly area is usually softer, less durable and more prone to wrinkles which just might be the case with your pair. This is more common in cheaper shoes but considering the way things are going economically, it would not surprise me if higher end companies start to cut corners.

hey hey take it easy. I actually like your blog, although i don't share your taste for blue shoes and the like. I also think you should avoid showing pictures of yourself, not just because you are not that pleasant to the eye (sorry but it is true- no ****) but because I believe them to be both inappropriate and unnecessary. If you want to show the whole ensemble just take a below the neck shot.

another option would be using me as a model. You are too skinny for the job (too short too as we are on the subject). I am available free of charge

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
hey hey take it easy. I actually like your blog, although i don't share your taste for blue shoes and the like. I also think you should avoid showing pictures of yourself, not just because you are not that pleasant to the eye (sorry but it is true- no ****) but because I believe them to be both inappropriate and unnecessary. If you want to show the whole ensemble just take a below the neck shot. another option would be using me as a model. You are too skinny for the job (too short too as we are on the subject). I am available free of charge
Apparently that is you trying to be funny again. Is that supposed to hurt my feelings? Please, Mr. no-****, save your high school insults for somebody who actually cares about what you think. If you don't like what you see then don't read the blog buddy....what difference is it to me??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads