• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISO: A new mattress

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a firm mattress that won't create craters in a couple of years? Thank you!

Moi.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
If you want a good firm mattress, try checking out Stearns and Foster. They have several high quality firm models. I have a tempurpedic memory foam mattress that I love. It is not for all, but I sure enjoy it.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
If you want a good firm mattress, try checking out Stearns and Foster. They have several high quality firm models. I have a tempurpedic memory foam mattress that I love. It is not for all, but I sure enjoy it.

A friend also recommends Tempur Pedic, but says you may get "trapped" by the mattress in certain positions during the night, resulting in aches.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
www.sleepworks.com They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
www.sleepworks.com

They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

You don't hate Berkeley. Chuck Norris hates it for you.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the beds they advertise on those infomercials -- the 'sleep number' bed, or one of those made from the NASA-developed 'memory' foam...

Edit: Just noticed that mrpologuy has a memory foam: how long have you had it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
You don't hate Berkeley. Chuck Norris hates it for you.
No John, my hatred is so strong that he can only hate it WITH me.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No John, my hatred is so strong that he can only hate it WITH me.

Have you met the Hate Man?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
www.sleepworks.com

They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

It's all those hippies and their disheveled nature. Faux-beatniks, et al.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's all those hippies and their disheveled nature. Faux-beatniks, et al.

When we went in to buy our's, my wife asked a question about something regarding the mattress. The lady responded that the answer was of course yes, and that furthermore, unlike other parts of the world, people in Berkeley like to read in bed. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, but that may be because I come from akrass the bay and am not as kulchered. Nevertheless, I think that the whole exchange sums Berkeley and it's residents up perfectly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When we went in to buy our's, my wife asked a question about something regarding the mattress. The lady responded that the answer was of course yes, and that furthermore, unlike other parts of the world, people in Berkeley like to read in bed. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, but that may be because I come from akrass the bay and am not as kulchered. Nevertheless, I think that the whole exchange sums Berkeley and it's residents up perfectly.
But what would Ezra Pound, and his "Guide to Kultur" say?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard memory foam mattresses aren't good for the back long-term. You might wanna check-up on that.

Really though, you're probably ok if you buy the top of the line model from any big mattress company. They usually have a couple of different options in terms of firmness.

Where do you live btw? I could ask someone I know if he can get you cost (his father works for Simmons). He promised it to me but then i spent a lot of cash through him last year (can you guess where he worked? ;p). I'm not sure how the deal will work and I'm planning on upgrading mine in a couple of months so it depends if he can get two of them through his father over sucha short time-period. I'll ask and say you're a relative if you're interested though.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember what it's called, but the mattress that Design Within Reach (dwr.com) are very comfortable to me.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Any recommendations for a firm mattress that won't create craters in a couple of years? Thank you!

Moi.

My family has a small chain of bed stores, especially in the higher regions of the market. I don't know which brands are for sale in the U.S. but...

TrÃ
00a9.png
ca de Paris makes excellent matrasses that are pretty firm. Not to be confused with the TrÃ
00a9.png
ca hotel beds btw. They also have the option of having two types of firmness in one double mattress.

Auping makes very firm matrasses, but not in double sizes. Just singles.

Vi-Spring is arguably one of the best mattress makers in the world, better than Hästens. They use better materials and a higher degree of craftmansship. They can make a mattress after your own specifications if you'd like. Bespoke bedding is what they do best.

I don't like Tempur myself. The material doesn't 'breathe' at all. No matter what Tempur claims.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
My family has a small chain of bed stores, Vi-Spring is arguably one of the best mattress makers in the world, better than Hästens. They use better materials and a higher degree of craftmansship.

Just what I came into the thread to recommend - I've always had Vi-Spring beds and mattresses (not bespoke though; from their retail line) and they are awesome and seemingly last forever. Very highly recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads