1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ISO: A new mattress

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Fabienne, May 8, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Any recommendations for a firm mattress that won't create craters in a couple of years? Thank you!

Moi.

2. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

If you want a good firm mattress, try checking out Stearns and Foster. They have several high quality firm models. I have a tempurpedic memory foam mattress that I love. It is not for all, but I sure enjoy it.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

If you want a good firm mattress, try checking out Stearns and Foster. They have several high quality firm models. I have a tempurpedic memory foam mattress that I love. It is not for all, but I sure enjoy it.

A friend also recommends Tempur Pedic, but says you may get "trapped" by the mattress in certain positions during the night, resulting in aches.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

www.sleepworks.com They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

www.sleepworks.com

They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

You don't hate Berkeley. Chuck Norris hates it for you.

6. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I've always been curious about the beds they advertise on those infomercials -- the 'sleep number' bed, or one of those made from the NASA-developed 'memory' foam...

Edit: Just noticed that mrpologuy has a memory foam: how long have you had it?

7. itsstillmatt

You don't hate Berkeley. Chuck Norris hates it for you.
    No John, my hatred is so strong that he can only hate it WITH me.

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

No John, my hatred is so strong that he can only hate it WITH me.

Have you met the Hate Man?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

www.sleepworks.com

They are a small store in Berkeley, CA. As much as I hate Berkeley, this is the kind of shop that it is really good for. The mattresses are as clean as you can find as far as chemicals and they sleep great. We have not found that our latex sleeps "hot" at all while the memory foam ones sleep very hot.

It's all those hippies and their disheveled nature. Faux-beatniks, et al.

10. itsstillmatt

It's all those hippies and their disheveled nature. Faux-beatniks, et al.

When we went in to buy our's, my wife asked a question about something regarding the mattress. The lady responded that the answer was of course yes, and that furthermore, unlike other parts of the world, people in Berkeley like to read in bed. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, but that may be because I come from akrass the bay and am not as kulchered. Nevertheless, I think that the whole exchange sums Berkeley and it's residents up perfectly.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

When we went in to buy our's, my wife asked a question about something regarding the mattress. The lady responded that the answer was of course yes, and that furthermore, unlike other parts of the world, people in Berkeley like to read in bed. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, but that may be because I come from akrass the bay and am not as kulchered. Nevertheless, I think that the whole exchange sums Berkeley and it's residents up perfectly.
    But what would Ezra Pound, and his "Guide to Kultur" say?

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've heard memory foam mattresses aren't good for the back long-term. You might wanna check-up on that.

Really though, you're probably ok if you buy the top of the line model from any big mattress company. They usually have a couple of different options in terms of firmness.

Where do you live btw? I could ask someone I know if he can get you cost (his father works for Simmons). He promised it to me but then i spent a lot of cash through him last year (can you guess where he worked? ;p). I'm not sure how the deal will work and I'm planning on upgrading mine in a couple of months so it depends if he can get two of them through his father over sucha short time-period. I'll ask and say you're a relative if you're interested though.

13. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I don't remember what it's called, but the mattress that Design Within Reach (dwr.com) are very comfortable to me.

14. Roy

Roy Senior member

Any recommendations for a firm mattress that won't create craters in a couple of years? Thank you!

Moi.

My family has a small chain of bed stores, especially in the higher regions of the market. I don't know which brands are for sale in the U.S. but...

TrÃ[​IMG]ca de Paris makes excellent matrasses that are pretty firm. Not to be confused with the TrÃ[​IMG]ca hotel beds btw. They also have the option of having two types of firmness in one double mattress.

Auping makes very firm matrasses, but not in double sizes. Just singles.

Vi-Spring is arguably one of the best mattress makers in the world, better than Hästens. They use better materials and a higher degree of craftmansship. They can make a mattress after your own specifications if you'd like. Bespoke bedding is what they do best.

I don't like Tempur myself. The material doesn't 'breathe' at all. No matter what Tempur claims.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

My family has a small chain of bed stores, Vi-Spring is arguably one of the best mattress makers in the world, better than Hästens. They use better materials and a higher degree of craftmansship.

Just what I came into the thread to recommend - I've always had Vi-Spring beds and mattresses (not bespoke though; from their retail line) and they are awesome and seemingly last forever. Very highly recommended.

16. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I´ll cast another vote for Tempur Pedic. A back saver.

If you want to go gently, begin with their pillow. I did so, and my neck pain disappeared.

17. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I have had my memory for for just over 3 years now and have no complaints at all.

18. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thanks for all the input so far.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find Treca or Vi Spring in the Midwest. The strategy will probably consist in visiting reputable stores and camping there for a while... [​IMG]

The last mattress we bought was chosen in too much of a hurry, upon purchasing the house; more time needs to be devoted to the choosing of a mattress this time.

19. Roy

Roy Senior member

Just what I came into the thread to recommend - I've always had Vi-Spring beds and mattresses (not bespoke though; from their retail line) and they are awesome and seemingly last forever. Very highly recommended.
    They do last a very long time, longer than any other bed we sell.

http://www.vispring.co.uk/howtochoose.html

The only Vi-Spring sales point in the U.S.A:
    Vi-Spring
    15507 N Scottsdale Road
    Suite 110
    SCOTTSDALE
    Arizona
    The phone number: 480 948 9488

TrÃ[​IMG]ca doesnt have any sales points at all in the U.S.A., I just checked today.

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member