• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Isn't it depressing when

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
something you were interested in on ebay is spiralling in cost due to a bidding war between three people who have a combined feedback of 5? Sigh.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find bidding wars depressing in general. Just wait until the last second and snipe, like the rest of us. Token bids to indicate interest are acceptable, then it's pistols at dawn. Saves trouble for all involved.

For example: There's a pair of black C&J monks on eBay right now. Bidding started at a penny, but the high bid is already $289 with more than three days to go. For $30 more, they could have had the black Purple Label monk from EG. I'll find it morbidly amusing if Polo monks top the price of the PL.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It comes and goes. Sometimes I get shirts at very reasonable prices. Then the newbies flood in and drive the prices up. When the prices jump up, they start leaving ebay, since there are no deals left to be had. Once they leave, the prices fall again, maybe not to the prior levels.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I find bidding wars depressing in general. Just wait until the last second and snipe, like the rest of us. Token bids to indicate interest are acceptable, then it's pistols at dawn. Saves trouble for all involved.

For example: There's a pair of black C&J monks on eBay right now. Bidding started at a penny, but the high bid is already $289 with more than three days to go. For $30 more, they could have had the black Purple Label monk from EG. I'll find it morbidly amusing if Polo monks top the price of the PL.

I had a fairly high snipe in place because I quite liked the shoes but the bidding is way past that now. Luckily I'm not going to raise my snipe since I've scored two EGs from GVH.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
It comes and goes. Sometimes I get shirts at very reasonable prices. Then the newbies flood in and drive the prices up. When the prices jump up, they start leaving ebay, since there are no deals left to be had. Once they leave, the prices fall again, maybe not to the prior levels.
Speaking of eBay cycles, I assume the massive Thanksgiving to New Years sales in the US, plus gift giving and rejecting, cause an annual cycle? Which mid- to high-end goods are affected by this, by how much, and when? There're a number of wardrobe basics that I can wait a few months to acquire and I'd like to try my hand at market timing.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

I've had a similar experience. I was prepared to bid what I thought was a generous snipe on a pair of C&J Grasmeres, pebble grain leather with a Dainite sole, as a pair of rainy weather shoes. They eventually sold for about $30 less than the plal price. Some people just don't do their homework. Errrgh!

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attribute high end prices to a general idiocy of human beings.
If anyone described to me Ebay business model 10 years ago I would have laughed in his face. Then I would have said that no reasonable human beings are going to bid against each other on the auctions that are not closing for another week.
Oh boy was I wrong.

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I've had a similar experience. I was prepared to bid what I thought was a generous snipe on a pair of C&J Grasmeres, pebble grain leather with a Dainite sole, as a pair of rainy weather shoes. They eventually sold for about $30 less than the plal price. Some people just don't do their homework. Errrgh!

I also find that annoying. Why pay retail price for an item on eBay (assuming that the product isn't hard to come by)?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40