• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isaia Without the Moustache

G in Houston

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Isaia Napoli suits that lack the moustache, i.e., the little fabric tab that wraps from front to back around the top edge of the lapel notch? I just received such a suit from a very well known merchant and have never seen that before.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huh? That sounds like a "throat latch."

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think he means this :
DSC_0238.jpg

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That piece is there to allow the collar to be altered. If the collar is fine, then you've nothing to worry about.

G in Houston

Reaction score
I think he means this :
DSC_0238.jpg
Right. This is what I meant. And its not a question of function, but of authenticity. Isaia of New York tells me that this tab (what they called the "moustache") is on all Isaia "sartorial models." I'm wondering if anyone has an Isaia suit they know to be genuine that lacks this piece.

Jfied23

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I just ordered two sport coats from STP, and they both had this issue, along with other things I thought were "missing" from typical ISAIA garments. I returned the SC's immediately to STP as their return policy is great. This latest batch of ISAIA that they got seems to be of a lower quality, with less handwork, etc. I'm certainly no expert on tailoring, but I do love the other ISAIA suits and SC's I have.

The things I recently ordered from STP, did not have that tab inside the collar which I thought was odd. They also did not seem to have the same structure to the body of the coats (not sure what this could be caused by). I also noticed differences in stitching around where the sleeves attach to the shoulders as well as the stitching on the lapels. Overall the garments just felt a bit lower quality than what I've come to expect from ISAIA. To me they felt like more of a mass produced line of clothing than one that prides itself in a lot of handwork.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has ordered from this recent group of ISAIA that STP has available.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've read here before that Isaia produces stuff for STP, which might explain the differences in construction.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Isaia has a lot of ranges, often -- and confusingly -- carrying the same label, if not extremely similar labels. It would be nice if they demarcated their diffusion points by way of sub-brands, different labels, etc., a la Ralph Lauren. But alas, there seems to be little rhyme or reason to the application of the various Isaia labels to its various lines.

Also, they make different lines for different retailers, STP included. Even if an STP-bought suit bears the same label as a suit purchased at a high-end store, it's probably constructed to lower standards to fit STP's pricing strategy.

TANSTAAFL, as the early internet nerds were apt to warn us. If an Isaia suit is selling for a couple hundred bucks on STP, or a similar site, you're probably getting what you're paying for.

G in Houston

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. There seems to be enough going on to justify asking STP to explain what, exactly, they are selling. If they respond, I'll let you know what they say.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. There seems to be enough going on to justify asking STP to explain what, exactly, they are selling.  If they respond, I'll let you know what they say.
I'm curious what you expect their reply to be beyond "we're selling an Isaia suit". It seems like you feel they're being deceptive.

Teemu

Reaction score
Sierra Trading Post already seems to tell in description the level of handwork put in the Isaia suits and sport coats, the more expensive ones where apparently pretty much all is done by handwork have "Handcrafted by master tailors in Napoli, Italy" in the description , cheaper ones don't have that.

Last edited:

JakeLA

Reaction score
Isaia makes those coats specifically for STP? I find that hard to believe. For one thing, it would then be illegal for STP to advertise them with a retail price of $2500 (when they were never offered at that price).

And do you really think STD would be commissioning all those ugly plaids and pastels and weird stripey sport coats? I see some of these exact same jackets hanging at the local Loehmann's

Teemu

Reaction score
Overall the garments just felt a bit lower quality than what I've come to expect from ISAIA. To me they felt like more of a mass produced line of clothing than one that prides itself in a lot of handwork.
I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has ordered from this recent group of ISAIA that STP has available.

Kiton and Attolini are very proud of their mainline and it's level of handwork, you can't even find words Kiton or Attolini from the labels of their other lines, Sartorio Napoli and Stile Latino, that have less handwork. At least not from the larger name labels, maybe the small labels with lots of small text mention Kiton or Attolini factory somewhere, not sure.

However Isaia sells all its fully canvassed suits under the same label, so Isaia label does not guarantee "all handwork" in same way as Kiton or Attolini. This really isn't in anyway STP specific but whole Isaia label.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads