• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Isaia Super 120 = 4100 retail, too much?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was at Saks main store, and found a great looking Isaia suit on the Sales rack.
However, the price tag was ripped off. Seeing that the material is super 120 in an normal sharkskin pinstripe type of material, I thought retail would be around 2800, at most no more than 3G, and with 70% off, it would be a good buy. Asked the sales guy, he agreed it would prob. come out to be around 700 for the sales price, but he has to check with the main Isaia sales person when he comes back.

So today I went back to the store today , and I was told the suit retailed for 4100+. I was taken aback, as I've never seen Isaia suit retail that much, maybe only for the 180 to 200 suit, not even cashmere suit. I didn't argue and just left. But as I was walking back to my office, I kinda started thinking that the price was really BS and since I really like the suit, I want to go back and argue my case.

My question is, is there a room for arguement in a big store like Saks, or what they quated me is going to be final, and furture argument with the sales guy will just be waste of time.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Yes that is too much for Isaia retail. It probably retailed for $4100 when the Euro was strong against the dollar but now it isn't.

-Mike

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No way. Isaia's most expensive line short of 100% cashmere suits is their "Solo 8" line for which they have only enough cloth for 8 suits.

I nabbed one during Korshak's last sale and the starting retail was like $3500.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for them being full of it.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even their 150+ is not 4k MSRP. Does he have an equivalent Isaia with tag for 4k? The usual retail for Isaia is closer to 2.5k. 4k+ is treading into Kiton/Brioni/RLPL St Andrews range. I call BS.

Regards.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this kind of shitty market, go with a fistful of cash, ready to pay.

These suckers will negotiate with you plenty when they see that.

Be prepared to walk away though, kinda like buying a car.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fancy pants Kiton rep at Saks was taking shirts off the dummy models to sell, he even promised a free tie mailed out to me (we shall see), aside from shining shoes he was very very customer oriented. And this was my first kiton experience at Saks.....I didn't expect even a hi!
They r hurting for sure.

Regards

david809

Reaction score
At both Saks and Neiman in San Francisco, Isaia suits in bread and butter wools (60 to 80% of what was on the floor, includes S120s) were $3k this season, IIRC. So $4100 is way out of line.

If I were in your position, I would just look at the price tag for a non-sale Isaia (basic in navy or grey) in a comparable fabric quality; if the price is around $3k, which it should be, then point this out to the sales person and ask about the discrepancy / call bullshit. Just ask them how they came to the $4100 figure. Who knows, they may have an inventory system that can tell listed prices even without a SKU from a tag. Maybe they have a look book that contains all styles and prices for the season. The price does sound suspect, however.

I also agree with the poster re: negotiating on price. This is an item without a price tag. Assuming that they do not have a system that can tell you the list price, you have a lot of leeway in negotiating for this "lost" item.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is Saks you have plenty of wiggle room since everything I have read is they are selling like mad to gain cash. There was an article I think in WSJ about them selling things at 70% off a few weeks ago.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40