• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isaia Suits

jameszhang10

Reaction score
I am quite new to Isaia suits but I decided to give it a try and acquired something from Ebay (first time on Ebay actually). My question is how can the price gap between Ebay and the Isaia boutique be so big? At the Isaia boutique, most of the suits were approx. US$4,000 (which I find to be so extreme as at that price range I would just use Savile Row) but on Ebay I ordered something for approx. US$700. I was led to believe by friends who own Isaia suits that up to 15 hours of handiwork is involved for each suit they produce. But if that is the case, then the price on Ebay is probably close to or even lower than the per suit production cost (assuming the fabric cost at least US$200 and the handiwork is US$25/hour for 15 hours and plus some marketing costs and fixed costs and the Ebay seller probably makes at least a 20-30% margin on top). Well, unless of course most of the Isaia's on Ebay are fake. From the photos below they look reasonably legit but then again...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Items on ebay are most likely suits that are from seasons ago.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit is completely legit, as is most of the Isaia stuff on FleaBay. Only stuff I get suspect about is when you see some claim like "Isaia for______" as they have done several sub-brands over the years, but have never been very big on white labeling.

Some of it is older (e.g. mainline pieces with black labels), some of it is used, and prices are all over the road. Classic staples - solid navy or charcoal suits - tend to run at higher prices like the suit you used as an example; I have also bought a number of Isaia suits for a few hundred and sports coats at around or below the $100 mark…it just depends on the seller, time of year, etc.

There are also a number of items that will be north of $1,000. These tend to be newer pieces and/ or listings from retailers who are looking to move inventory.

Chowkin

Reaction score
+1.

Note that the seller has 100% positive feedback.

Plus if indeed it turns out the item is fake, you are protected by eBay and can get a full refund.

As for why the suits sell for such low amounts - the cost of production is irrelevant as it is a sunk cost

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Consider a big retailer like Neiman-Marcus. They sell maybe half at the full ticket, another 1/4 at 25% 0ff and a few more at 50% off. They probably have $1400 in a $4000 suit (somebody speak up if this way off).
When they dump the few that are deadstock in sizes out of the core size band they can lose coin on those since they made a wad on the bulk of them. They spend money keeping stock and it has to go. If it gets too old it is worth even less.
Oh, and they get some back when they do no questions asked returns that also are in the Ebay stores.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
... and if I may add, 25$/h for labor is way, waaay off. I know first hand that seamstresses in Germany in the hand-tailored suits business earn just above 10€/h. Recon what they pay in Italy... I know we always love to believe these beautiful suits are made by decently payed beautiful virgin elves only ever at full moons in some remote Lothlorien, but the reality is they are made by beautiful underpaid and hard working elves in factories that often date back to the 1950ies including much of their machinery and the resellers reap much of the sumptuous profit especially in the RTW market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads