1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Isaia Made to Measure

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rsp1, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with Isaia's made to measure program? I am very pleased with my RTW Isaia suit and continue to really like their overall look ("poor" man's Kiton?).

I am considering stopping by their M2M program at Barneys (M2M for same price as RTW)

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Kiton is overpriced. Isaia is priced about right for what you get. The MTM program is excellent. Many of the customers at the store where I shop are switching from Zegna MTM to Isaia MTM. Note that you can choose from many colorful linings Isaia has to offer, so don't miss that option.

3. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

Yeah, the salesman told me about the lining option.  I was surprised to see that Zegna MTM is the same price as Isaia MTM.  It seems to me that Isaia is really targeting a sweet spot in the market from a value perspective.

On a side note, does anyone know why many Isaia RTW suits are labelled "Made in Switzerland"? (eerily like Zegna)

4. Cpal

Cpal Well-Known Member

What is the pricing for Isaia MTM at Barney's?

Thanks.

5. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

Depends on fabric. Most are 2,395 (which is the RTW price of all their Isaia suits). Some 100s are 2,295, most 130s are 2,495. I imagine the more exotics/higher counts are more, but I'd say 80% are 2295-2495 (no extra charge for custom lining, working buttonholes, etc).

6. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

Well, I pulled the trigger on a super 130s navy pinstripe Isaia MTM (went for a burgundy lining). Also met the Isaia north america Rep.

We'll see how it looks in 6-8 weeks....

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I wouldn't say that. They are world class, and often use exclusive fabrics. You do get what you pay for, although "˜what' you pay for it is another matter altogether.

Jon.

8. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Isaia priced the same as zegna is absurd. Isaia is so much better. that's like a BMW 545i being the same price as a VW Bug

what was the name of the American Rep? andrew?

9. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

I forget his name. He was tall and had worked in italy for a while before new york.

10. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i met with them once, the other guy's name escapes me. guido. i think his name is guido, very nice guy. balding i think i recall

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I own suits by both and disagree.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

let us know how the suit turns out.

13. Phil

Phil Senior member

I own 3 MTM Isaia suits, all bought through Saks, in NYC. I couldnt be happier.

14. tdial

tdial Senior member

Comparing Zegna to Isaia doesn't quite make sense to me, unless you're comparing them because they are available in the same channel--Neiman's.

How would Isaia compare to Borrelli, for example?

15. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

Not to hijack my own thread, but i've actually wondered - a) how are Borrelli's suits and what would be the "peer group" and b) who makes Isaia's shirts and ties? The stitching of their shirts seems remarkably similar to Borrelli shirts.

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

(johnapril @ Mar. 19 2005,19:18) Kiton is overpriced. Isaia is priced about right for what you get. The MTM program is excellent. Many of the customers at the store where I shop are switching from Zegna MTM to Isaia MTM. Note that you can choose from many colorful linings Isaia has to offer, so don't miss that option.
    I wouldn't say that. They are world class, and often use exclusive fabrics. You do get what you pay for, although "˜what' you pay for it is another matter altogether. Jon.
    Kiton is priced that high for a reason. Saying it's overpriced doesn't really mean anything... Overpriced to who? Kiton does have the most amount of handwork of all makers. The level of handwork is almost absurd. They are one company that really doesn't care what thier suits retail at; they just want to have the best hand made garment on the market. The price reflects the craftsmanship, not the material in Kiton. That is why you'll see cashmere suits and cotton suits priced only $1500 apart. That is why the ties are $220. Also, Kiton buys fabrics in extremly low and unheard of quantities. Like 30 meters a run.

1 person likes this.
  17. tdial

tdial Senior member

I don't like comparing suits based purely on price, since I think the styles are really what puts suits in a category. I'd put the Neapolitan manufacturers in a category, which would be Kiton, Attolini, Borrelli, and Isaia (I'm sure I'm missing some). Kiton and Attolini represent the best of RTW tailoring, and should sit a notch above Borrelli and Isaia. Owning several Borrelli suits and odd jackets, I can say that they are as well constructed as Kiton, but are behind in the degree of handwork (though if Kiton indexes at 100 on handwork, I'd put Borrelli at 95) as well as the luxuriousness of the fabrics (again, if Kiton indexes at 100, I'd put Borrelli at 90). I haven't had the opportunity to study Attolini pieces, so I only know what I've read. I'll let someone else who's more knowledgeable chime in on Attolini. Isaia I find just a step below Borrelli in terms of handwork. (If Borrelli is 95 to Kiton's 100, I'd put Isaia at 85-90). I would say that I have been impressed by Isaia's fabrics, however, and would put them on par or maybe even slightly better than Borrelli. I'd say that Isaia isn't as well constructed as Borrelli, but this is only a hunch based on the feel, not any specific knowledge. The real "value" I see in Borrelli, is that the styling is terrific (Neapolitan natural shoulder, with some waist suppression) and the construction is A+. And Borrelli is generally 60% the retail price of Kiton, while I don't believe it's 60% the garment. To me, a Kiton jacket and a Borrelli jacket feel very similar in terms of their comfort, etc. Of course, if I had $5,000 to spend on a RTW suit, I don't suspect I'd care too much about construction, etc. since I wouldn't be terribly concerned with such worldly matters. It's funny, but though I like the Neapolitan style better aesthetically, I probably look better with a more structured Brioni-type jacket. [​IMG]

18. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Tidal, I am wondering on what basis you make your assertions. That is to say, I would be interested to hear where, say, Kiton has handwork that Borrelli does not. I examined MTM Borrelli last week, which had hand stitching all over the place. For instance, down both shoulders and down the center seam in the back of the jacket. I'm curious where you think Borrelli is "lacking" that puts it in the second tier?

19. drljva

drljva Senior member

Is Andrew Tanner still the NA Rep?

20. drljva

drljva Senior member

Have both, and don't really agree, as it depends on which "Zegna" we're talking about. :) My Zegna Napoli C. suits are among my favorites -- and I'll stack them up against almost anything in my closet (Brioni, RLPL, ... just about everything but my Kiton suits). I've done Isaia MTM many times. And in fact, one of my favorite suits is an Isaia MTM (Charcoal Super 150s 3B SB w/ Peak Lapels). Still, my experience with Isaia MTM has been hit or miss. The last couple of times, they (and NM) made such a mess of things that I simply gave up. FYI, the NA Rep made no real effort to rectify the problems that I experience; he could have cared less, for what it's worth...