• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isaia Base S suit.

BigRed

Reaction score
I'm a Isaia suit rookie. I just saw a Isaia Base S 2 button suit with dual vents at Off 5th. avenue for $1125. The suit is a medium grey that is 85% wool and 15% silk. A) is this a fair price for this suit B) Is the Base S considered a quality Isaia?

Thank you.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A) A bit pricey. Off 5th will have suit sales that range from 30-50%, although the 1/2 off of $1495 suits are less frequent. But if you have found a solid basic and there is only one in your size, then maybe worth spending the extra coin, or you can wait since Off 5th promotions change every Wednesday and see what happens. I picked up a couple over the holidays for $750 each, which if you find what you like, are a can't pass price (for not being in NY and having access to samples sales and the like). I think at 40% off at $900 is a good price. Above that, depends on your budget and what you're finding out there in terms of your size and what you are currently on the market for.

B) It's not the fact that Base S is quality - the mainline Isaias are all quality suits. Base S is the fit - and if works for you, it's an excellent suit.

BigRed

Reaction score
Yea they have it marked for $1499 and are currently offering 25% off, thus $1125. So you think they will go a little lower?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will likely get lower. Base 'S' is a great quality suit, but the fit is a bit boxy I have found. Nonetheless, I still love the Isaia's that I have snagged. With that said, if this is a color you want / need, it may be worth the money. It is all relative.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigRed
Yea they have it marked for $1499 and are currently offering 25% off, thus $1125. So you think they will go a little lower?
Like I said, Off 5th Marketing changes promotions every Wed (get on their e-mail list). The 25% is pretty much their run-of-the mill discount - particularly if you're a More card member- which discount is always available on all regular priced items on a daily basis. The 40% comes every once in a while (I don't know when); 50% over the holidays for sure; and sometimes buy one suit get one free. Depending on your area and the customer base, it's easy for a $1500 suit to sit around and not be bought. But if you really want a suit, it's a basic color and one in your size, if you want to wait, run the risk of it not being available later. But since the discount isn't that great now, might be more likely the suit will sit on the rack. I find I like the shoulders of the Base S best, and the sleeves are not overly slim or the armholes overly high like the Base V. The waist is a bit boxy, but easy for a tailor to fix.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the above. It's a bit pricey - you can get Isaia suits at Sierra Trading Post for 300 to 400 dollars less with the right coupons - but that's mitigated by the fact that it's a solid basic color, which is harder to find on sale.

jungshoe

Reaction score
the off 5th isaia suits get significantly cheaper than the advertised $1499 when they have the buy 1 get 1 free promotions (2 suits for $1499) or the 40% off sale (one suit for $900). it's been a couple months since they've had those, so there's probably one around the corner if you can wait. once a year they run a 50% off men's suits, but i think that's usually in early december. if you get on the off 5th email list, they'll notify you when the promotions occur. last year they had b1g1 free sales in march, june, july, september and november.

literasyme

Reaction score
Base S is a very nice cut. I have no idea how anyone could consider it "boxy" -- it has natural, almost unpadded shoulders and nicely cut quarters. Armholes are fairly high, but not extreme. Waist suppression can always be adjusted by your tailor.

BigRed

Reaction score
Yea when I tried it on I liked the fit. I'm just curious if it could be had cheaper than the current asking price....

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Base S is a very nice cut. I have no idea how anyone could consider it "boxy" -- it has natural, almost unpadded shoulders and nicely cut quarters. Armholes are fairly high, but not extreme. Waist suppression can always be adjusted by your tailor.

You really should try it on. The Base S has changed in the past two seasons or so.
It used to be very like its' predecessors the Stuart and/or Sirio. For me,
it has padded shoulders, and is too short and skimpy. The one's I own, which are three to five
years old, have really natural shoulder and a bit of drape. I personally would not
buy the current models for $200.

BigRed

Reaction score
The suit I tried on didn't fit like that at all. It had a natural shoulder..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads