• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isabel Marant H&M for Men, Nov. 14

Max13

Reaction score
So according to my girlfriend Marant is "thee" designer for women at the moment. She will be doing a collaboration with H&M and for the first time in her career will be designing for men. She has stated that this "mensware" is a one time ordeal, and so my girlfriend is keen on my making purchases for my wardrobe because Marant is "it." Anyways, I don't think the pieces are all that bad but am a bit retiscent about certain items and would like your opinion as to how to wear them/their worthwhilennes. Here is a link to all the items Isabel Marant designed for men: http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2013/09/isabel-marant-hm-menswear-collection-prices.html

First, give me your opinion of the capsule.

What are the items that you would consider purchasing?

Thoughts on the items I've considered, and my opinion of them:

Simple jeans, with cool arrow detail on its sides. This capsule is inspired by Southwestern native design and I honestly dig it, especially its subtleness. My style is not ostentatious but I'm willing to breakaway from solid jeans if the design is simple enough that it doesn't necessitate a second glance. A simple "nice" is all I prefer as a response from an observer.

Ok, having said the latter, considering these jeans is going slightly overboard for me. In fact, I've never purchased a white jean in my life nor a jean with any type of design on them. Yet I still think these jeans are somehow quite simple. The black native design on the white template works as a desert's emblem is a lone cactus. I would wear these jeans only with long black t shirts which fall an inch (give-take) below my crotch area, and the Marant suede boots;

Alright, so I don't really know what to think of these boots. I like its simplistic design, but at the same time they do look like designer Uggs? They would, but these boots are thinner at the front. Anyways, I'm at the fence with these. I like them but they might be too unisex for me. So here are the models wearing the boots:

So yeah, I think that dude on the right would look cool if he was wearing a long black-t instead of that sweater. And I think the boots generally work in these outfits, but the kicker is that they're $199.00, worth it? They're plain enough to be versatile but the price is a bit steep.

Here's the other color,

This sweater is a must for me.

Just a question, who would consider these and in what setting would you wear them? I think they look great but I have never purchased any leather pants so am wondering the latter. Also, is 350.00 a reasonable price for these? I mean, that's like a PS4...

These pants would be fantastic if they didn't have zippered pockets, and if you click the GQ link above you will notice, in viewing the better quality image, that they have zippers at their legging too. What is that for? Any purpose, or just a fashionista idiom?

Anyways, thanks for scrolling through the items. Have me know your opinion. Cheers,

Max13

Reaction score
Is your "must" sweater designed to make the wearer look as if he is exsanguinating? I think I might actually rather bleed to death than wear that in public.
Right, it's a turtle neck sweater that's meant to eventually suffocate you in warmth like all other turtle necks do.

Wear it in public then.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally everything shown here looks terrible. To top it all off, it will still be H&M so the quality will be bad and it will all fall apart in 4 months. Having to own these pieces just because the designer is popular is exactly why "fashion" and "style" are such vastly different things.

Last edited:

Max13

Reaction score
Literally everything shown here looks terrible. To top it all off, it will still be H&M so the quality will be bad and it will all fall apart in 4 months. Having to own these pieces just because the designer is popular is exactly why "fashion" and "style" are such vastly different things.
Yea, I've never shopped at H&M. So is the quality that terrible that it wont last longer than 4 months? You state this, do you have firsthand experience or is this the general concesus?

If the designer is popular, this is probably because the fashion she "designs" is appreciated, no? Doesn't this mean that the style she creates through her fashion designs are integral to each other? Or in what way is fashion so different from style, they seem correlated to me. What's the vast differnce...

Or did you mean style can be cheap but better looking than fashion designs.

Anyway, tell me why you think the boots are terrible.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
designs look terrible IMO
it's H&M so expect bad quality. and ****, those are some pretty high prices, even ignoring that it's H&M.

My opinion, pass on all. OP, if your girlfriend is dressing you and you don't know your own style and think this stuff is good or just want it becuase your GF says it's the business, you've got some homework to do.

welcome to the forum

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, I've never shopped at H&M. So is the quality that terrible that it wont last longer than 4 months? You state this, do you have firsthand experience or is this the general concesus?

If the designer is popular, this is probably because the fashion she "designs" is appreciated, no? Doesn't this mean that the style she creates through her fashion designs are integral to each other? Or in what way is fashion so different from style, they seem correlated to me. What's the vast differnce...

Or did you mean style can be cheap but better looking than fashion designs.

Anyway, tell me why you think the boots are terrible.

I have shopped at H&M before. Most of the things they make look very cheap right from the get go. They make some items that look quite nice and fit well at first but it doesnt generally hold up for long.

My comment about style vs fashion was mostly based on your initial comment about how your girlfriend has made it clear to you that since she likes this designers womenswear and she is the "it" designer of the moment that she simply has to purchase you some of these pieces for your wardrobe. To me this means that despite the fact that none of this stuff may actually fit with your general style of dress, your girlfriend is insisting that you own at least a few of the pieces simple based on the name of the designer sewn into the label rather than you finding your own style and wearing what you enjoy.

I get the feeling from your description of each item that none of those things are really your style, but simply the things you would settle for since your girlfriend is insisting you wear the latest it designer.

To me, fashion is trying to keep up to date with what is in and whats trendy at the moment, which is exactly what it sounds like your girlfriend is trying to encourage you to do.

Last edited:

Max13

Reaction score
designs look terrible IMO
it's H&M so expect bad quality. and ****, those are some pretty high prices, even ignoring that it's H&M.

My opinion, pass on all. OP, if your girlfriend is dressing you and you don't know your own style and think this stuff is good or just want it becuase your GF says it's the business, you've got some homework to do.

welcome to the forum
nah, I do have a sense of style. it's all black, with shades of green and brown and a bit of red. earth tones is all I dress in.

also, only long black t shirts. sydian ersats and vanes are my go to. no sneakers, and only black and brown boots but mostly black. the latter which produce the most variation in appearence.

in any case, i have to purchase something on this list. i don't think they're all excellent (if anything, I was asking for clarification as to why some of the items were produced their certain way.)

i'll probably end up getting the first pair of pants (black with arrows) and the brown suede boots.

and maybe this cardigan:

if you had to choose a color between the latter two, which would it be? or if you consider this a no go, aside from a straightforward opinion, whats the reason. i can see it being thought of as too messy, or perhaps disorganized or maybe it looks like for an old folk?

Max13

Reaction score
I have shopped at H&M before. Most of the things they make look very cheap right from the get go. They make some items that look quite nice and fit well at first but it doesnt generally hold up for long.

My comment about style vs fashion was mostly based on your initial comment about how your girlfriend has made it clear to you that since she likes this designers womenswear and she is the "it" designer of the moment that she simply has to purchase you some of these pieces for your wardrobe. To me this means that despite the fact that none of this stuff may actually fit with your general style of dress, your girlfriend is insisting that you own at least a few of the pieces simple based on the name of the designer sewn into the label rather than you finding your own style and wearing what you enjoy.

I get the feeling from your description of each item that none of those things are really your style, but simply the things you would settle for since your girlfriend is insisting you wear the latest it designer.

To me, fashion is trying to keep up to date with what is in and whats trendy at the moment, which is exactly what it sounds like your girlfriend is trying to encourage you to do.
yep, fair enough. i am trying to meet half-way here, this is true haha and i understand now what you mean in your difference between fashion and style.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, this is a Classic Menswear forum and you will not find anyone in here liking the above. As the name suggest, classis menswear is made up my timeless items of clothing that makes men separated from Kids. I suggest you spend some time browsing through the pages an get acquainted with the idea.

If you are still a kid and insist wearing stuff like the above, there is a separate forum on this website for Streetwear and denim, you may want to move there.

PS: I would not buy any of those items even if I was still 16... And it will be one season stuff

Brenny

Reaction score
nah, I do have a sense of style. it's all black, with shades of green and brown and a bit of red. earth tones is all I dress in.

also, only long black t shirts. sydian ersats and vanes are my go to. no sneakers, and only black and brown boots but mostly black. the latter which produce the most variation in appearence.

in any case, i have to purchase something on this list. i don't think they're all excellent (if anything, I was asking for clarification as to why some of the items were produced their certain way.)

i'll probably end up getting the first pair of pants (black with arrows) and the brown suede boots.

and maybe this cardigan:
ncQCpv

if you had to choose a color between the latter two, which would it be? or if you consider this a no go, aside from a straightforward opinion, whats the reason. i can see it being thought of as too messy, or perhaps disorganized or maybe it looks like for an old folk?

Looks nice.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you had to get something? #1 and #3. Pants with small detail, people who know will know what it is. #3 looks ok, of course depending on if they fit you and you think they're worth the price. Lastly, under #3 boot pic is the three pics, jacket on the left looks ok too.

Ivar

Reaction score
With these kinds of hyped-up collaborations, it's important to cast a very critical eye on the garments and imagine how you'll think about them once their tinsel of freshness has worn off. For there's something oddly seducing about the spanking new, but it's a short-lived high, and suddenly you're the proud owner of a pair of studded leather pants that you wouldn't wear in a million years.

I saw this play out after the Matthew Williamson collab. My local H&Ms were filled to the brim with his stuff -- which basically looked like ugly 90s rave gear -- and as the weeks went by, it was getting discounted to the point where they were basically giving it away for free. What fascinated me was that this process very brusquely pulled away the shroud of luxury and fashionability with which the marketing department had originally wrapped these garments. It was as if they suddenly had to go at it alone.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads