1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is your best friend of the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by cheessus, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

My mother is my best friend.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Have you read Confederacy of Dunces?

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've had those thoughts in the past, but ultimately put them out of my mind. People that work as friends wouldn't necessarily work as more than that. If you can rationalize why you wouldn't work as a couple, you'll be better off. Ulitimately, do you want a lifelong friend or someone to hook up with and never talk to again after it goes sour, because that is the likely result (how many women do most people date before they marry?)

I joke about having dumped a girl for not liking mushrooms, but if i had to cook/eat with someone on a nightly basis and our tastes differed widely or she refused to try anything i cooked, it would be a problem. In my case there would be a culture clash too... I hate doing family shit all the time, and she's indian, so that stuff is incessant. it would drive me nuts. I'm one of those guys that doesn't even want to see extended family on holidays (feels like such a waste of time that should be enjoyable and stress free).

4. christinedaae

christinedaae Senior member

i tried the best buddy deal with this one chick, but after a few months/ half a year i found out she

1. really didn't want to hear about my personal life dealing with the opposite sex. she'd start huffing and pouting and sticking her lick out
    2. really didn't want me knowing about her personal life and the dates she went on
    3. would huff and pout when i didn't spend enough time with her or od things with her

then i realized. lol this is like a GF without the sex. it really was. we fought just like a couple over the silliest of shit just like a couple, is aid you know, this really isn't worth it.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've had a lot of female friends over the years and most have gone nowhere (don't speak to them anymore). In general, the guys that say women don't make good friends are right. women want to talk your ear off about their probs but dont want to listen to yours.

My friend listens to all my bitching about women, dating, and all the rest and never complains. She's a good sport about all the jokes i make about the english colonizing india too. :laugh:

6. ysc

ysc Senior member

Not my experience at all. I had a pretty rough patch not that long ago and a couple of female friends were very supportive and listened to me ramble about my shit for ages. Of course my male friends were equally supportive, but it tended to be more of a bro-hug and then go and drink beers thing than long conversations and listening to me go on.

My close friends are about 50/50 male and female, and sure a couple of the females I would like to fuck in a hypothetical kind of way, but apart from that my relationships with them are not that different from with my male friends.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I posted this in the pissed off thread but I think it belongs here:

aaaaaaaaawwww shucks, got on FaceTime with the best friend today and the first thought that came to my head was, "she is cute". Freak, this has never been my first thought when I see her.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  8. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

KSilk strikes again.

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

who is KSilk?