Is white socks standard with streetwear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lsquare, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I'm just wondering what you guys are wearing for socks? I often wear white ankle socks and I'm thinking of stocking up on other socks, but I'm not sure what to get.

2. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Avoid white socks. I wear them with boots because it doesn't matter, but otherwise, they're usually just ugly.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

^^This man speaks the truth.

I have black hm socks that practically fell apart after the first wash [​IMG]

4. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

White ankle socks are generally bad for everything except athletic wear, and little old ladies. When you sit down and your pant legs ride up, I'd rather be showing all white sock instead of a bit of white at the top of my shoe, and a whole lot of pasty white, hairy leg. But unless you're going to the gym, avoid white socks. Brown, tan, navy or grey. I don't like black either.

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

I just have a wide mix of socks.. from a lot of different places. I never wear white socks, though. Right now I've got some Paul Smith socks on. Usually I just check for sales or something and buy a few decent pair here and there.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

No they isn't. Get gray ones.

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

God no. I've got tons of patterned and solids in brown, navy, and grey. Although argyle is where it's at.

8. ruach

ruach Well-Known Member

I have and absolutely love a pair of Paul Smith socks. Unfortunately I think they're going to be disintegrating on me pretty soon. They're full of stitched up holes but the wear is becoming too great to recover.

I have several pairs of striped or polka-dot Marimekko socks which are the only pairs that have not developed holes at the big toe without being overly thick.

9. ironman

ironman Well-Known Member

yeah man, chuck out dem stanky gym socks and get creative.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

I have some from strokes socks. They are really good socks, and have yet to show any wear after a year. Of course they'd better be good for the price.

11. phaedrus

phaedrus Senior member

No white, just dark grey, black navy, even multi-colour stripey Paul Smith. I'm well stocked on socks now after going to Beijing and getting a large haul at the markets at some too cheap to remember price.

12. presidentofvice

presidentofvice Active Member

be careful, socks can become a dangerously expensive obsession. As others have mentioned the paul smiths' are a sweet ride. Don't forget about the Marc Jacob's cashmere. its like the bentley of socks...

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I own about 30+ pairs of socks and only 2 are white. I dig argyles, stripes, checkerboards, naked lady prints on em, whatever....as long as they're not white

14. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I own about 30+ pairs of socks and only 2 are white. I dig argyles, stripes, checkerboards, naked lady prints on em, whatever....as long as they're not white
    How do you decide when to wear which pair? Do you follow rules such as matching the colour of your socks to your pants? @everybody Where is a good place to stock up on solid colour socks? I consider socks to be basics and I don't want to spend top dollars on them.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have no problem wearing white socks. I never wear patterned socks - it's just not my style.