• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Vicuna Worth It?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A question for the SF.net community....

The other day I went to get some shirts made and on a whim asked how much it would cost for a vicuna suit. He said they start at $65,000. I felt the small sample and it seemed nice but I couldn't tell if that was enough to justify the cost. Figured some of the members who are much more knowledgeable about fabric and the like could enlighten me.

Is the fabric much warmer or softer or whatever that makes it exponentially more expensive than other fabrics? Is a matter of exclusivity for the fabric? Does it have some other properties that make it "worth it" to acquire?

Thanks!

Your pal,
edinatlanta

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I only wear vicuna thong underwear.

Financed thru Fat Joe.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Vicuna bandages are hopefully available so I can continue my luxurious lifestyle.

Get well soon! Flowers and sympathy card on the way.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think your tailor was trying to impress you with the price. Most tailors that I know making these garments are priced about 35000.00 for a 2 piece suit. A lot of these were being sold in Detroit a few years back. I know a client or 2 in Chicago buying them as well.
If you appreciate the luxe hand and limited availability then go for it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Vicuna is expensive because of the rarity of the material and the difficulty of acquiring it. It was banned for a long, long time to protect the little goats (actually they are not goats, but whatever) from extinction. Governments in the Andes only recently allowed vicuna to be shorn again. The animals are impossible to domesticate, so they have to be found in the wild. For a long time, they had to be killed for their fleece, but now the people who get it know how to shear them without killing them, though by law and practicality, one animal can only be shorn every three years.

But the answer to your question is no, it is not worth it, unless, to you, it is. I personally have no interest in ever acquring the stuff.

superfans124

Reaction score
diamonds have no practical value other than cutting tools, but who's arguing?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once saw a vintage women's overcoat made of 100% vicuna, it probably had 9 or 10 yards of cloth in it. I should have bought it on principal alone, as the damn thing sold for less than $100.
frown.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I once saw a vintage women's overcoat made of 100% vicuna, it probably had 9 or 10 yards of cloth in it. I should have bought it on principal alone, as the damn thing sold for less than $100.
frown.gif

No way, unless it had a built-in coronation robe.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No way, unless it had a built-in coronation robe.

Well I'm sure you would know better than I would what an overcoat uses in terms of length of material, my only point was just that the coat was massive.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I think your tailor was trying to impress you with the price. Most tailors that I know making these garments are priced about 35000.00 for a 2 piece suit. A lot of these were being sold in Detroit a few years back.

I guess that explains GM

superfans124

Reaction score
somebody was selling a vicuna Brioni jacket a while back in B/S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads