• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Vass really worth the money?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are other handwelted options out there that beat Vass at similar price points pre-Covid. Sad to see they are using fiberboard for the heel stack, but I guess its inevitable.That said, I agree with the OP that I would still rate Vass shoes at their website prices over many other GYW shoemakers.
Enzo Bonafe is at similar price point and use leather heel stack and handwelted features at similar price point.

Last edited:

rhb57

Reaction score
I truly think I should simply change to the title to Vass uses fiberboard heel blocks so it could draw more attention.
Maybe that'll eventually force them switch to leather stacked heel blocks, lol.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a U last bought at Isetan in Tokyo years ago - I found it quite a tight fit (the half size up was clearly too loose) - but these are fit issues, so very specific - but whilst the leather was very nice looking, it was quite thin and did not crease very well. I found the experience quite uncomfortable compared to UK shoes. The insole was quite unconforming, and the heel puffs are very stiff and unconforming too. A good looking shoe, but not one that could be worn for a long time. Just my own opinions and experience....
sorry but this doesnt sound like a quality but a fit issue. I could say the same about G&G shoes but that doesn't mean their shoes are not great. Maybe it's just not for you in terms of fit. And usually leather doesn't creases well if the shoes don't fit either.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I truly think I should simply change to the title to Vass uses fiberboard heel blocks so it could draw more attention.
Maybe that'll eventually force them switch to leather stacked heel blocks, lol.
sorry for my ignorance but what is so bad about fiberboard ? given their retail price of 500-600 euros I am not sure what people expect in terms of quality but the ones I saw looked great just did not fit that well.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance but what is so bad about fiberboard ? given their retail price of 500-600 euros I am not sure what people expect in terms of quality but the ones I saw looked great just did not fit that well.

apparently it’s a big deal despite no one finding out about for six years....

i also can’t imagine Vass to change their mind because some people are whining about on SF...at a time when Vass is selling handmade shoes at about 300 euro ex tax. I’m sure adding costs is really top of mind for them right now..

rhb57

Reaction score
apparently it’s a big deal despite no one finding out about for six years....

i also can’t imagine Vass to change their mind because some people are whining about on SF...at a time when Vass is selling handmade shoes at about 300 euro ex tax. I’m sure adding costs is really top of mind for them right now..
There is a first time for everything, and just because they offer a good sale price doesn't mean they are justified to cut corners, their regular price is not cheap at all.

Carmina is even cheaper and they use leather stacked heel blocks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly I just want to know other people's opinions, I actually still prefer Vass to EG or Lobb because it's handwelted and imho offers the coolest style, haha.
I own only one pair of Vass shoes but many other hand-welted and machine welted shoes. They are around the same price point or more expensive than Vass. What I can say about my pair is that the sole was not finished that well. To be more specific, there was a little gap in front of the heel , that became bigger and more apparent after only two short wears. Luckily the shoe has a double leather sole and I purchased it from a shop with a great repair shop attached, so the cobbler fixed it perfectly. If I want to have a heel entirely rebuilt, the cobbler told me that they can built it up layer by layer for not much money. The pros: Nice stitching, great leather quality for the upper, nice lining leather, great last and after a longer break in time than usual due to the double JR soles, very comfortable. So overall, if you like the style and you take a closer look to the finishing before purchasing, I would say Vass is a good choice. Where I live Vass retails just 50 bucks above a CJ Handgrade pair. If you compare the two and like the style I would definitely buy a Vass shoe, eventhough the sole on a CJ handgrade has a nicer look. If Vass would do the blind stitching on the edges and not the middle of the sole, it would look much nicer and a bit of colour would not hurt either. Would I pay 1000 bucks for a Vass shoe, probably not, there are better options in the market.

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that have experience with Bonafe and Vass how do they compare? quality of materials and construction?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to just look at the material used for the heel. To understand whether a garment or a pair of shoes is worth the money, you have to plug the item's fundamentals into the Algorithm of Fashion Value:

((raw material cost + accounts receivable - assets) x (joy you get from wearing said clothing x number of hand stitches))/ (depreciation of sustainable value + country of origin)^ net margin of classicness

The Bayle's Theorem of fashion.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any place in America to try on Vass shoes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there any place in America to try on Vass shoes?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't they online only? I'd like to try them on to feel the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads