• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Uniqlo worth a 5 hour drive from DC?

BigRedBike

Reaction score
My gf lives in NYC, and I live in Ithaca (upstate NY) which is about a 4.5 hour drive. I drive an '85 volvo turbo diesel and it's probably about two tanks of gas round trip ($38x2 = $76)...or if you wanted to be exact...more like a tank and a half ($57) plus the $8 toll to get into the city ($84/$65). I'm in about $86 (I normally grab a tea or coffee along the way) before I even get to her place. I don't pay for parking, but if you did then tack on another $15-$35 depending on how long you stay. For me being in the middle of nowhere with no clothing stores, a trip like that would be worth it (I'm also impulsive and stubborn). However you are in DC...wait until you have a reason to go.

lyonnaisdecoeur

Reaction score
as one who makes the Boston-NYC commute frequently on the amtrak i can say that it is definitely the best way to go....just book it in advance and it will be less than or around $100, and it's so damn easy. no stress, no parking, no fees, a nice big seat....seriously...the stress involved in driving is so not worth it in any way...you will sit there in traffic, pay $40 for parking, sit in more traffic, get lost, and then spend as much as you would on the train....i would pay probably $40 more to take the train than the bus, and $60 more than driving...it's worth it!

as for uniqlo...it's a great store to get cheap stuff....it's better than H+M, probably better than Zara and is Japanese...so if you're into that kind of stuff, it's really a great deal...that being said, i don't think you can make the trip to Soho without stopping at some of the other places listed....but man, H+M is a mistake..i'd rather go spend 10k at hugo boss before buying something from there that will fall apart in a week. i think everything there is made in bangladesh.

well that's about all i can say on this. in short. go, and take the train.
bonne chance

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
yes it is worth it. drop by baltimore and pick me up on the way.

if you put together a carpool like this then you could make it worth it

context

Reaction score
it's bit more than 4 hours to get there from DC provided that you don't hit major traffic. i think it's worth it, but do not expect to find everything you see on their website. their flagship store in soho only has about 1/2 the stuff shown on their site. that place is damn packed all day on weekends.

dks202

Reaction score
A five hour drive is like going across town in Texas.

El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

lckychrmsbboy

Reaction score
First post is bumping a two year old thread telling him to order online..haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics