• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is Tumi nylon products any good?

effang

Reaction score
i need a sensible messenger bag/ laptop briefcase. can anybody inform me of the quality of Tumi's goods? i'm looking at mostly synthetic materials, as in general leather bags always feel too heavy for me.

they are having a nice sale now, and if i can't find anything better I may jump. similar products would be from jansport, kenneth cole, etc., but...

thanks!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang
i need a sensible messenger bag/ laptop briefcase. can anybody inform me of the quality of Tumi's goods? i'm looking at mostly synthetic materials, as in general leather bags always feel too heavy for me. they are having a nice sale now, and if i can't find anything better I may jump. similar products would be from jansport, kenneth cole, etc., but... thanks!
I have some dozen year old Tumi ballistic nylon luggage pieces. The quality is excellent in all facets. Someone else would have to tell you whether they have kept up their standards.

closetmess

Reaction score
Hey,

I just bought a duffel bag on sale from Tumi ($99 down from $329) and although only a few days old I've used it for 2 overnight stays already.

It is full nylon with leather padding at the bottom and looks really sleek. It also came with a 3 year full replacement warranty. The construction is solid and the pockets are accessible and well planned out. I imagine their messenger bags to be of similar quality.

dscf0414tb8.jpg

dscf0448ln2.th.jpg

coogie

Reaction score
Me and my family members all use Tumi traveling cases. My laptop bag is Tumi as well.

The quality is excellent to the highest standard. If you ever have any damage (unlikely) they give you a brand new one as a replacement

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by effang
is Tumi nylon products any good?

Yes, but your grammar leaves a bit to be desired...
blush.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I resisted buying Tumi for years. I now have it and find it to be very functional and of excellent quality.

esque

Reaction score
Mind sharing where you were able to get that duffle bag?

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
Hey,

I just bought a duffel bag on sale from Tumi ($99 down from $329) and although only a few days old I've used it for 2 overnight stays already.

It is full nylon with leather padding at the bottom and looks really sleek. It also came with a 3 year full replacement warranty. The construction is solid and the pockets are accessible and well planned out. I imagine their messenger bags to be of similar quality.

dscf0414tb8.jpg

dscf0448ln2.th.jpg

WHERE did you get that bag?

I live in Ohio, and I don't know of any stores that sell Tumi..I've only seen Tumi in airports and just got turned on to them about a year ago. I'm looking for a good weekender bag...that's exactly what I want!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its quite good all the way around. If I am not mistaken they use the same quality in all of their standard ballistic nylon lines (alpha, T3, T-Tech etc.. ) the differences lie in the thickness of the nylon used. So the T-tech is thinnest (not counting those new, weird polycarbon things), T3 middle and Alpha thickest, with some other lines in between.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They used to be..

But now when you compare the to others on the market for lesser $$$.. They just don't stack up..

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that briggs and riley is tougher, and has a better warantee. I have 2 tumi bags, and 2 b&r bags, the quality on the B&R is better

but, lets put that in perspective - I am doing 120 plus legs a year. my tumi bags have lasted 4 plus years of that, so above 500 legs. how much travel will you do?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably do two plane trips a month, and have two Tumi bags. They are overpriced for what they are (IMHO), and my wheeled Tumi garment bag was in for zipper repairs TWICE during its first two months of use.

If I was going to buy standard (read: "black nylon") business luggage for heavy use and didn't care about e name brand, I would choose Samsonite DLX Pro (I think that's the name) every time. I used to have a standard Samsonite wheeled garment bag that lasted 10 years and at least 100 trips until the wheels finally disintegrated in an airport parking lot. The only issue ever, was an exposed bolt in a compartment that shredded a tie (fixed on the new ones).

I've had good luck in the past with Travelpro and Hartman.

Money less of a consideration, or brand conscious? I'd go with Globetrotter.

dclloyd

Reaction score
I've had 2 Tumi briefcases for 8+ years now, and the nylon one is probably my primary. I do a lot of travel and it's held up brilliantly - it looks almost as good as the day I got it. Small touches (like the external water bottle holder/pocket with drain) are great. On the other hand my luggage is all Briggs & Riley, I find they're a much better value for the money - but they don't make a decent looking (IMHO) briefcase.

riveroaks

Reaction score
Tumi is decent depending on the specific line and design. However, they no longer have the lifetime replacement warranty.

Like the poster globetrotter suggested, B&R is a better value for me from both functionality / design and cost / quality standpoints as well as warranty. B&R uses 2520 denier ballistic nylon. Not sure what Tumi uses.

For its weight, 1050 denier is the strongest and that's what Pathfinder uses on its higher end line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads