• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Trad bad?

manofstyle

Reaction score
Having posted/browsed here and at AAAC for a lot this year, I still struggle to understand the appeal of the "Trad" style. I readily admit to my ignorance...

What is there in it for a young slim guy to wear a sack jacket? And... if these Trad folk are not fussed about good jacket shape around the mid-section, what's their attitude to showing shirt cuff or a wearing pocket square?

Is it the case somehow that the appeal of Trad is tied up with a nostalgia for the past in a general sense - how people treated each other back then, the gentler pace of life, the values and so on? So people are latching onto the styling of the era, perhaps for misguided reasons? Or have I totally misjudged this Trad aesthetic/movement. I suspect I have.

TIA for any thoughts...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a white guy thing

just kidding

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trad is awesome. However, for a young guy I'd go for trad inspired. You can still be trad without looking like an old fogie though.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of things you can take away from the look besides a sack suit. Button-down shirts in classic colors/patters, flat front pants with 2 inch cuffs, shell cordovan, repp ties, jack purcells, shetland crewnecks, harris tweed, etc. There is something about the trad color pallet and understatement that just pleases my eye.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm far from a Trad, but I do like many elements of the style. The recent Alden adoration here, for example, has been a pleasant change from all the chisel-toe worship. There's room in my wardrobe for both American classics and other options.

I happen to have a vintage sack coat undergoing surgery as we speak. Done right, "Trad" can be as youthful and well put together as any other style. I just stay away from some of the costumier elements of it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a mix of hardcore Trad and Anglo. When it comes to casual, I love to wear Shetland sweaters, brightly colored chinos, OCBD's, penny loafers, embroidered belts/pants/socks, etc.

However, I don't think I'd buy a sack suit unless it had a good deal of waist suppression. The sack odd jackets that I have are all shaped at the waist, to the point where it looks like just another darted coat. On a slim 20 year old, fully cut sacks can look a bit weird.

In short...my winter casual and dress wear has a lot of Anglo influence. Warm weather stuff, definitely Trad.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there's AAAC old-man trad, and there is a more youthful, ivy-league inspired, BOO, Hickey-style version. Either can be done poorly or done well.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of either for my own wardrobe, but there are few here that look great in it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
Is Trad bad?

No, just dangerous to know!
smile.gif

Seriously, I don't get the full appeal of a lot of trad, but when it's done well, it can look good. I certainly don't buy into some of the lifestyle cachet that seems to go with it for some people (from what I read, you probably have to be raised in the States to appreciate that). I just view it as another style. Some of it looks good to me, some doesn't. What's new...
smile.gif

Rebel_5

Reaction score
I'm not Trad, though most of my wardrobe is BB or PRL. I'd say my style is a blend of "preppy" and anglo. I most likely I wouldn't wear a sack suit, tassel loafers with a suit or a bow tie with anything except a dinner suit. But I'll say if yo uwant to see how a young, thin guy can pull of the look quite well, check out some of Untilted's pics on the AAAT forum.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just another style that some enjoy, some abhor, and some don't really care. I fall in the last category, although do sprinkle my outfits with some trad-ly items. I especially enjoy funky argyle socks, and the fitted button-down shirts.

Oh, and the original title of the post, that's some fight'n words! to the pure trad.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a madras jacket to a bar, you'll either be laughed out or fighting the women off (switch to a loud tartan or a red blazer in the winter).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads