• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Thom Browne style a throwback?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at a picture of Johnny Cash (my favorite singer, btw) from the "Live at Folsom Prison" album cover, and on the back is a photo of johnny cash wearing slim trousers that are hemmed high enough that about 1/2" or so of his sock is showing. This photo was taken in 1968, so I'm wondering if the high-trouser look was popular back then and if the whole Thom Browne phenomenon a throwback to that style.

johnnycasheq6.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thom Browne is simply exaggerating the 60's look.

ddejfk3rl.gif

10103975.jpg

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so I think that if you can get a look somewhere closer to the Pack, Johnny and Jack than Pee Wee Herman then it's a pretty cool look. I recently got a couple of pairs of trousers hemmed so that they are just covering the top of my shoe when I am standing still, but when I walk, sock clearly shows, and honestly I kind of like the look. It's not as severe as the look in some of the Thom Browne photos I've seen because in his sock is clearly showing when the people are standing still, but it's a higher-hemmed look than I normally go for. Here's an example that I posted in the "what are you wearing" thread recently:

summer0uh.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Socks? He usually has none. On top of that he claims ironing a shirt is unnecessary. Thus... he often looks like a MontrÃ
00a9.png
al hobo.

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Thom Browne is simply exaggerating the 60's look.

ddejfk3rl.gif

I agree. The pictures I've seen of Browne's designs look more like a caricature of the 60s style he claims to be reviving. JFK's suit in the above picture looks good. Browne's stuff looks goofy.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Socks? He usually has none. On top of that he claims ironing a shirt is unnecessary. Thus... he often looks like a MontrÃ
00a9.png
al hobo.

Yeah, but that's not really the point. I didn't mean this thread to be about whether or not he irons shirts or any kind of personal attack on Browne - more of whether the style he is advocating, and a style that is gaining so momentum was a throwback to another era, and whether one could personally have a style that is a throwback to that era without looking as goofy as the people who are wearing Browne's style look.

Apparently the answer is yes. I think in all of the photos we've seen so far, including the photos of Jack and Ike, Johnny Cash, and the Rat Pack, the people pictured look good wearing trousers that are slightly shorter than what is the norm today.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Looking on the web I saw the Beach Boys showing there socks

Beach_boys.jpg

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Flood pants seem to be a fashion that comes and goes but not much of style--rather more of a costume side of outfits.

But at what point are pants considered flood pants? Obviously Thom Browne's pants are well into "flood pants" territory and the Beach Boys' pants look like they are firmly in flood pants territory. But are JFK's pants flood pants? Are Johnny Cash's pants flood pants? Are my pants flood pants? I would say that the Rat Pack's pants are firmly not in flood pants territory, but the others are somewhere in between.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It's a game of centimeters going from classic no break to flooding. I like the length of your trousers in the pic Odor. Looks much cleaner than some previous pics where you had more break.

Browne references my favorite sartorial era of history but, as everyone else has said, he exaggerates some of its more distinct nuances. As with most things in fashion, there's nothing new going on if you understand the characteristics of fashion throughout the decades.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13383

Ah yes, thanks for the link, now that I think about it I remember reading that thread in the past. When I first tried those trousers in the picture above I thought they were too short and I was going to get them lengthened a bit, but then after I wore them like that they kind of grew on me and now I think the look is pretty cool. They're not overly short so that no sock is showing when I'm standing, but sock clearly shows as I'm walking. However, I would get pants hemmed a little longer if the pants have wider openings on the bottom.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I think the length on those looks great. Curious, how did you decide between hemming on an angle, and hemming straight across? I've seen it both ways.

Didn't mention it before, but it's encouraging to see how the seat of those turned out. I once found a beautiful Isaia suit with a perfect 40S jacket but the pants were just too tight in the seat and thigh. With that kind of alteration I might give them a second look.

Tom

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I think the length on those looks great. Curious, how did you decide between hemming on an angle, and hemming straight across? I've seen it both ways.

Didn't mention it before, but it's encouraging to see how the seat of those turned out. I once found a beautiful Isaia suit with a perfect 40S jacket but the pants were just too tight in the seat and thigh. With that kind of alteration I might give them a second look.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Only thing with the seat is that the old stitching is visible on close inspection, but unless someone is sniffing my butt, it shouldn't really be a problem.
sickow5.gif

As for the hemming, I just went on the advice of my tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads