• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this worth anything? Raleigh Hickey Freeman. Vicuna?

Reaction score
My grandfather was an antique dealer. He passed away years ago but my mother was going through his stuff recently and found this vintage jacket. She said if I could sell it on Ebay I could keep the proceeds. After some research I think I could get a few hundred for it. The inside pocket is stamped as being made on Feb. 3, 1966 and it looks like it has never been worn. Could anyone please help me out so I know what a reasonable reserve prize would be. Here are some pics.

front
coat5.jpg

The plastic thing it was in says Raleighs of Washington and Hickey Freeman.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4366/coat3s.jpg

100% Vicuna
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2187/coat1a.jpg

back
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3968/coat4.jpg

inside
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8678/coat2.jpg

Please Help!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vicuna is quite rare. That thing is great, what size is it?

Raleighs was a great store, my dad shopped there back in the day.

Mike

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
for something like this , it really depends on the quality of your photos and the angles and such.

camel-colored anything can look really dingy in slightly blurred photos and can come across as preowned/thrift pick up.

im sure this is a heck of a coat, but you have to take better pics (sharper/high resolution) for ebay.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
the fur collar will hurt the value since that's a kind of a unique/dated look. Does it come off?

I don't know. It looked under the collar and it looks like a normal jacket. I think a tailor could easily take it off. Wouldn't it be better to sell with the collar though and leave a person with the option to remove it or keep it?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Vicuna is quite rare. That thing is great, what size is it?

Raleighs was a great store, my dad shopped there back in the day.

Mike

There's no size anywhere on it. I'm a 48 long and it fit me perfect except the sleeves were too short. Its around a 48 reg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
for something like this , it really depends on the quality of your photos and the angles and such.

camel-colored anything can look really dingy in slightly blurred photos and can come across as preowned/thrift pick up.

im sure this is a heck of a coat, but you have to take better pics (sharper/high resolution) for ebay.

The iphone pics are the best I can do. Would I get a much lower price going to a vintage store in DC than selling on Ebay?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottschwartz
The iphone pics are the best I can do. Would I get a much lower price going to a vintage store in DC than selling on Ebay?

you're not going to get any price profitable enough by going to a vintage store, ive done that before, they give you pennies for good quality items that are even brand new ive tried it before.

ebay is much better. see if you can borrow a friend's camera or something. and if you got to do iphone pics, dont have an apt background that enhances the old/preowned look of the jacket.

see if you can get a nice solid black backdrop (nice flat table top?) or white backdrop.

and dont have it hanging. lay it out. leave out the clotheshanger (it implies to me, preowned), lay it out to emphasize the fuller silhouette effect.
and you got to take at least one full , closeup photo depicting the quality/condition of the collar fur.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are late in the season. Faux fur collard Zero Kings (which is what this is closest to) sell for $120-150 in November. Start the price at $94 and drop $20 each week. If you want to keep it until next fall, start at $154 and reserve it at $194.

What species is that fur?

And what size is it?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you're not going to get any price profitable enough by going to a vintage store, ive done that before, they give you pennies for good quality items that are even brand new ive tried it before.

ebay is much better. see if you can borrow a friend's camera or something. and if you got to do iphone pics, dont have an apt background that enhances the old/preowned look of the jacket.

see if you can get a nice solid black backdrop (nice flat table top?) or white backdrop.

and dont have it hanging. lay it out. leave out the clotheshanger (it implies to me, preowned), lay it out to emphasize the fuller silhouette effect.

Thanks. with a nice camera and blank backround do you have any idea what it would go for?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
You are late in the season. Faux fur collard Zero Kings (which is what this is closest to) sell for $120-150 in November. Start the price at $94 and drop $20 each week. If you want to keep it until next fall, start at $154 and reserve it at $194.

that sucks. i thought i had sorta hit the jackpot. when googling i found this archived time magazine article saying that hickey freeman vicunas went for $550 in 1964.

While Hart Schaffner suits sell for $80 to $150, Hickey-Freeman specializes in the luxury brackets, with suits retailing at $150 to $235, sports coats at $110 to $215 and vicuna overcoats priced up to $550.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz19RhE5sTT

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to maximize your sale price go with Ebay rather than a resale or consignment shop.

And make sure to take much better pictures and use a good ad template.

Just go to the Ebay section that would have overcoats and "model" your ad after one that you like. Unless the ad design is registered or something you can copy the general design of someones ad and it will get you a greater price.

Also, remember that Ebay and Paypal have fees. So you should end up with about 90% of the sales price.

Your coat is definitely vintage and it's hard to tell the condition. Since you say it appears unworn, I'll assume that the condition is mint. If so, with a very good ad and pictures, I think you should be able to get between $400 - $750. Why not try to sell it here on the B & S forum.

I had 2 woman's vintage 100% Vicuna outer coats. They were not quite in as good a condition as your coat. I sold them cheaply to an SF member for $400 for both. He said they were for his mom so I didn't mind. They belonged to a famous lady too. Someone with very good search skills might be able to find them in my posts.

Good Luck and remember if you put a little work in with pictures and design you usually get a higher sale price.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Thanks. with a nice camera and blank backround do you have any idea what it would go for?

my guess is anywhere between 150-250 latter end if you are lucky. the style and brand name (for ebay bidders' sake) is not really that high in demand unless it says 'gucci' on it or kiton or other.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that sucks. i thought i had sorta hit the jackpot. when googling i found this archived time magazine article saying that hickey freeman vicunas went for $550 in 1964.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz19RhE5sTT

It really depends on who is looking on ebay and if they are specifically looking for that label. I will tell you that this coat is in demand in Nordeast Minneapolis, but that is a very small market.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Just go to the Ebay section that would have overcoats and "model" your ad after one that you like. Unless the ad design is registered or something you can copy the general design of someones ad and it will get you a greater price.
Drop the names "Fran Tarkington" and "Vince Lombardi". These coats are great for outdoor football games in the Upper Midwest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads