• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this what the B&S Has Come To?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We care, and we will actually be doing a size filter and revamping the categorization filter.  However, for the most part, it is just not feasible, right now, either financially or in terms of development resources, to implement a lot of the technical changes that have been suggested.  A lot of these options are what you see on Ebay or Yoox, both of which are billion plus dollar businesses.  We are considerably less flush, and share development costs with other sites, to boot.   

I tabulated all the good ideas, and they would cost over $100K in development, if we had the personnel to devote to it.  We have neither.  The total revenues from the B&S section are under $1K/m (it's actually closer to under $500, on average) and we work as a cash business.  If you want to donate $100K+ to make some of these technical changes, then yes, we'd be happy to consider them more seriously.  But, for example, making a "simple" token system, where people cannot bump all of their items simultaneously, requires that an entirely new core for the system be built up - that is thousands of programming hours, right there.  Even businesses whose sole focus is in selling things (any store) work off of Shopify, Big Commerce, etc... and other commercial software.  To built out a custom site costs at least $20K, and that is when you start with Magento.  To build a whole new site, from scratch, is prohibitively expensive.  

"Simple things"  are simple only conceptually.  Execution is much more difficult.  

Our affiliate threads are enjoyed by most of our posters and readers alike - traffic and posting bears this out - and it adds value to the community. We've always been very proud of that system. This is an industry where retailers and brands often seen very remote.  We allow consumers and brands to make a direct connection.  [COLOR=FF00AA]However, if you don't like the advertising model for revenues, I would be happy to hear your other suggestions, as would any other publisher (including forums), of any size, out there. [/COLOR] The subscription model doesn't work, and certainly would not work for us.  If there is another option, that works, you will have revolutionized this space, entirely, and I'd love to get in on the ground floor on that.

@marblehouse
 is the new B&S mod, and is helping us clean it up.  If there are miscategorized items, etc... it's the job of the community to self-police.  We've always had few mods and few rules, because members of the community realize that things like B&S benefit it.  Are you willing to guide (not threaten or insult, but guide) sellers to make proper listings?  If so, we'd be happy to designate you the "go to" guy for questions.  If B&S works better, you should be able to sell more and better, so it would directly influence you.

Cheers,

Fok.

I will just put this out there:

How could a member really take this seriously......when the response to the original post came 1 month+ later(unless there was private PM communication)?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am essentially in charge of *everything* on the forum, and responding to this complaint, which has no immediate *and* reasonable remedy, was not really on the top of my agenda. B&S has been on my list of things to lobby for development resources for enhancement of and fixes to for a long time, and we just got word that *some* development might be possible, so I thought that it would be a good time to post. Years ago, I used to post "we are looking into possibilities" regularly. But that is an answer that is satisfying to no one.

Incidentally, if you want to start posting sizing conventions here, in the form:
garment/accessory type; sizing convention; sizes needed
I'd really appreciate it. So, for example, someone might propose:

Footwear; Japan; 25,26,27,28,29,30

I am doing this with some others, but we really only have one shot at this, and probably no (or very slow) changes after it's set in stone, so we want to make sure that we get things right the first time.

Cheers,

Fok.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads