1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this what the B&S Has Come To?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrd617, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jaghetermattis

jaghetermattis Well-Known Member

As I buyer, I do check B&S once in a while but I too find the search function to be tiresome.

I typically use the mobile version of the site while on the run and one problem I've noticed is that search parameters are reset when navigating to the next page. For example, when I choose the category 'suits and blazers', 'sort newly listed' these go back to 'all' and 'newly updated' when going to the next results page. One of those annoying things that make you want to switch to eBay. This should be fixed.

Generally, I like the B&S. There are great sellers on eBay of course (many of which are here too), but B&S has a more of a fubu-feeling to it. If I ask a question, the seller often knows exactly what I mean as he is SF born and bred. I was not around for the above-mentioned supposedly amazing pricing so I cannot say anything about that, but I concur with the notion that as one's wardrobe grows one gets more picky and need the selection of a larger market (i.e. eBay).

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

This is a timely conversation for me. I'm in the market for a couple/few new pairs of pants, so I've been keeping an eye on B&S, and there just doesn't seem to be much of anything compared to the way it was when I first shopped there. Plus, I've got a pair of AEs I've been meaning to post for sale, but now I'm wondering if it will be worth it.

Interesting how much things have changed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Any other suggestions? I don't want this to just drop off the radar as it needs attention.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

How about a petition that can be submitted to the mods? I would sign it...

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

How about a general B&S discussion thread on the main MC forum?

It would highlight the better deals that sometimes get missed and offer some conversation and gentle encouragement for people to kop.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

For me, these 2 posts sum it up. Its about price. No deals, no sales. End of story. I haven't bought anything on B & S in about 2 1/2 years, for whatever reason there aren't deals to be had so I don't even bother to look anymore.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I've noticed that I've been having much more brisk sales on eBay lately.

If the eBay market will accept a $25 to $50 price bump on a $500 item to help you offset the seller fees, then eBay is a better option than B&S at this point. A lot more people watching on eBay. This was my point about the Marlows. Fewer people watching the B&S on a regular basis because the search functionality that people want isn't there.

Just some food for thought....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  9. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

I'm definitely starting to understand what people mean about the lack of deals.

There was a time that pastel cashmere ties could be had for a sum of $35.

3 people like this.
  10. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

This time went quickly.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  11. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I have to agree with this statement, although generally it only works with bigger name brands. More niche, SF approved stuff garners less attention.

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

You should start this thread. In SW&D the "Someone should buy this" thread is one of the most popular and active. Other members highlight a deal on a desirable or interesting item either in B&S or elsewhere. It has the old community vibe to it that people say is missing from B&S, esp if there is a reco for someone specific who you know would really like something.

I agree. The affliliate threads are usually run by long standing forumites who are willing to share knowledge and participate in other ways besides selling goods (not everyone of course). It's easy enough to scroll past the more commercial threads if you want to -- plus any ad blocker will bring back that simple Styleforum v1.0 look if you're feeling nostalgic.

It may have diluted the social experience -- the ability to browse your favorite poster, get a bro bump or find a surprise nugget buried in a thread with a lot of other things -- but the new system is much better for finding a single specific item. HOWEVER, I totally agree the search funtion could be improved (filter searches by size, brand, open listings, etc).

improving B&S may or may not be an objective for SF mgmt.. I don't know if they ever wanted to get into the online marketplace business. I do like having the B&S and usually check there when I'm looking for something. I also like the idea of trading within the SF community. But I also will shop anywhere and will just as easily click away to google to look for something I'm after. In the end, it's about finding the item vs. having an "experience".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    2 people like this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Interesting idea... I like it.

15. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

For me personally, the B&S forum changed dramatically when listings started carrying preview photos. Suddenly it became unnecessary to click on anything unless the photo looked interesting. It made the whole experience much less of a bargain hunt and more of a pixel hunt. That likely drove viewership down significantly. I certainly noticed that I didn't really care for most posts anymore.

The lack of a merit bump though, is what really hamstrung it IMO. As a buyer I could no longer "refer" items that I thought were great to others browsing, by simply bumping it with a post and letting it grab someone else's attention. It meant that I could no longer participate in an indirect discussion of what's hot and what's not. As a result, I didn't care that there was a good deal if it didn't apply to me, because I could not highlight it for anyone else.

All this translates to one thing: as a buyer I just don't care anymore. Sure, throw me a ridiculous price for something I want, and I'll bite. However, if it doesn't suit my size or my need, then it's another member's job to find it. It's akin to everyone riding public transit with headphones on: everything else is just white noise.

That and smartphones. I blame smartphones.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I've been thinking about this a lot. I still see some pretty good deals on there, maybe not sick like in 2008.

But I do think the sponsored deals do take up too much of the front page, that deals get bumped off the front page pretty fast, etc. I think the highlight threads will help, but the layout could be massively improved.

17. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Let's not allow this to be swept under the carpet.

18. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Someone is selling fake Moncler on B&S (and this is not the first time I have seen it). Even though they are admitting that it is fake, that shit should be insta-ban.

1 person likes this.
  19. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

B&S is still rather slow. It's hard to sell even staple items....

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Should be banned for selling Moncler...IMO. Can't stand the stuff.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014