1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this what the B&S Has Come To?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrd617, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Maybe no one wants them. simply because something is apparently cheap, that it no reason for people to want or need it. Common sense being exercised.

1 person likes this.
  3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Have you seen the Marlow thread? They're as close to a "cult shoe" as it gets.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

It's not what it used to be, mate, not what it used to be.

Something has gone very wrong with it, and perhaps the overall site as regards the "lowly" Senior member, over the past year or so.

2 people like this.
  6. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Economy isn't the best, and since it's Christmas, people need more cash.

Also, for what it's worth, there's not a whole lot of people that have access to try these out in stores..and with no returns, it's a 400$ gamble.Since they've been up so long, it's potentially a bad gamble too.

It's a buyers market.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I suspect another factor is that the prices are not even all that great. He's selling Marlowes and Lindricks for close to what you can get them for during the Private Sale, but with the added risk of no return if it does not fit or has some other issue.

4 people like this.
  8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I'd buy almost all your coats if I could afford it - not that "if" really helps matters.

I suspect a lot of members have similar thoughts about similar B&S stuff.

Fact is, for me, my company has decided not to give raises and bonuses 2 years in a row. During that time, cost of living and taxes have risen and my medical plan has doubled.

So basically I took a pay cut two years in a row lol ... and a pretty decent sized one at that.

Since I refuse to have credit card debt, I unfortunately must be much more frugal with this addictive hobby of ours.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

And there you have it.

11. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

I am reading this thread wearing Giannis I bought from Ralph for basically the same price, and was able to return if sizing down didn't prove to be a good idea.

As a BS browser, it is too hard to see new stuff on mobile. The sort by newest post feature either doesn't work or lets bumped old posts past it.

1 person likes this.
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Readers of that RL cordovan thread are well educated about their sizes. I wouldn't put much weight into that factor.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ I don't know. Could be more of a structural issue. Viewership goes down unless you're constantly bumping

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Old B&S was a lot better. The bumping was merit based in that if an item was 'hot' it would get pushed up constantly. Of course there was some abuse of the system. But the 'merit bumping' combined with the fact that there were 'super threads' that included items across all categories (e.g. Suits along with shoes) made it a more enjoyable experience.

Long story short, too many B&S threads have diluted the experience.

15. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

There is also quite a bit more low balling now than before, and non-serious buyers that kick the tires. Not sure why that is. I routinely get offers that are 50% off very reasonable asking prices, and multiple questions that go nowhere.

I get the sense that many of the serious B and S buyers (who made many repeat purchases) are now gone.

2 people like this.
  16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Well in the last 24 hours eddieveder has sold a 10.5 wingtip, so chalk it up to this thread :D

17. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Personally, I've used the B&S a lot less since the revamp a while back b/c I find it much harder to view now. Not sure if others have felt this way.

There seems to be many more posts that are not worthwhile, with the gems you pointed out sprinkled in between, but I have trouble finding them.

Lately I have some of the frequent sellers saved eg. Steve Smith, Viral, etc. and glance at their posts rather than scrolling through the forums for the above reasons.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1 million.

Sorry but instead of just moaning why can't we ask the people who run this site to bloody do something about it?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013