• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this watch legit?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but read all the way down if you haven't, it doesn't actually contain a Rolex movement, but what the seller is essentially calling a copy of a Rolex movement.

I'd also be skeptical of a watch from the 50s that had a mineral crystal (plastic was much more popular then), let alone its original mineral crystal with NO scratches...

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understood them to mean it was a copy of Rolex but the fact it said the face has no scratches is what made me question it. He must have had a desk job. HA HA.

Pully

Reaction score
I own a medium-format Russian camera which is essentially a copy of a Hasselblad. It's a lot of fun and a nice-ish camera for what it is, but it sure as hell isn't a Hasselblad. That said, I suspect that I got far more use out of it than I would have if I'd purchased the real thing, because I wasn't afraid of ruining a few thousand dollars of kit by taking it on vacation/hiking/bike tours etc.

josh1233

Reaction score
Cool, but it's not a real Smersh watch unless the crown pulls out and is a garrote

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no way that watch in the picture is vintage to the 1940's, the dial is perfect as is the case, no sign of aging or wear. My guess is that it is a reproduction piece.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.