• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this trenchcoat male or female?

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
I recently visited a thriftshop and bought a burrbery trenchcoat. The size was a bit big, but i figured I could take it to a tailor.

The things is... A friend of mine thinks it's a female coat based on the placement of the buttons. So I'm seeking some knowledge. It's this coat male or female? Or mabye unisex?

Would be super happy for answers. Thanks in regard!
20180713_212422.jpg

20180713_220808.jpg

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
Female, buttons to left. NOT unisex.
Hehe thanks. I actually started comparing it to my blazer and their buttons are on opposite side like they should...
At Style Forum we try to be precise with our terminology.
That is not a trench coat. It is a raincoat, a rather generic
one at that.

Here's the real thing:

https://optse.ztat.net/editorial/in...en_Fashion_Flashback_C1_left_806x1066_INT.jpg

I actually thought it was a trenchcoat... I've seen trenchcoats in same design as you linked, but I just figured it was a diffrent model of trenchcoat. What makes a trenchcoat? Is it the double breasted buttons and strap on middle?

Burberry raincoats are a classic and that’s a very nice looking one. But yes, the buttons are arranged in a fashion traditionally signaling a garment meant for women.
Ye burrberry trenchcoats are pure class! Sadly I was careless and did not pay attention to the buttons and also the cut might be bit more feminine in the shoulders/ Sleeve length. However to my defence it was on the mens section ;) I do feel kinda stupid tho....

Think I will resell this coat then and look for a male version. I guess I could Wear a female coat, but that would be something that is disturbing for me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The designation of a coat being "female" because of the buttoning arrangement is a bit odd to my mind, even if traditionally correct. If it looks fine and it's comfortable, I'd wear it.

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
The designation of a coat being "female" because of the buttoning arrangement is a bit odd to my mind, even if traditionally correct. If it looks fine and it's comfortable, I'd wear it.

So you're saying that besides the button there is no reason why a man can't wear it? The thing is. It's too big for me in the in the waist section (wich i could take to tailor) and also the sleeves are shorter, but not too short I guess..

About the cut. I've heard female coat have more slim shoulder cut and shorter sleeves. M

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no reason a man can’t wear anything he wants. It’s up to you to decide whether wearing a coat whose buttons traditionally signal a woman’s garment is off limits or not. You might want the sleeves longer though. A rain coat is supposed to protect from the rain and should cover your shirt and jacket cuffs for max effectiveness.

I suspect that if you got this from a thrift store that you paid next to nothing for it. You might actually make some money off it if you send it to a good consignor. Money that you could put toward a coat that you don’t have to compromise on.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that besides the button there is no reason why a man can't wear it? The thing is. It's too big for me in the in the waist section (wich i could take to tailor) and also the sleeves are shorter, but not too short I guess..

About the cut. I've heard female coat have more slim shoulder cut and shorter sleeves. M
Yeah basically.

You're right that women's clothing generally has slimmer shoulders, but the garment itself looks to be relatively shapeless and slightly loose, which is what I'd expect from a raincoat.

The shoulders look fine to me, the raglan style sleeves probably help with that too.

I agree with Caustic Man that the main concern would be the short sleeves if I were in your position.

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
There is no reason a man can’t wear anything he wants. It’s up to you to decide whether wearing a coat whose buttons traditionally signal a woman’s garment is off limits or not. You might want the sleeves longer though. A rain coat is supposed to protect from the rain and should cover your shirt and jacket cuffs for max effectiveness.

I suspect that if you got this from a thrift store that you paid next to nothing for it. You might actually make some money off it if you send it to a good consignor. Money that you could put toward a coat that you don’t have to compromise on.

Ye.Thanks for the advice. I'm still thinking about what I would do. I paid around 120 USD for it. My concern in terms of fit is mainly the sleeve length and also I'm affraid I look "Not aware of style" when i wear female wear...

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
Yeah basically.

You're right that women's clothing generally has slimmer shoulders, but the garment itself looks to be relatively shapeless and slightly loose, which is what I'd expect from a raincoat.

The shoulders look fine to me, the raglan style sleeves probably help with that too.

I agree with Caustic Man that the main concern would be the short sleeves if I were in your position.

Ye the coat sleeves might be a bit short, also I'm not sure if I want to go with female wear simple for the fact that I look unaware of style etc. And yes you should not care what other people think and in general I dont, but I still take pride in what I wear and this might conflict that.

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
Hmmm, yeah 120 is a lot for a used item. You might not be able to make that back in consignment. Btw, the fit of a coat like that should be loose and straight so I wouldn’t change it.
Ye It's a bit, but still cheaper then buying it new. Also the conditon is pretty good. I could try and sell it, but I'm not too concerned about making the money back. Would be nice tho since I could use the money for buying a new coat

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
I disagree. Caring what people think is a bedrock of living in a polite society. You don’t need to take it too far but don’t fall pray to the notion that what you do should only reference yourself. Anyway, just some free advice. Take it or leave it. :)

Yes I see your point! I do care how people perceive me in terms of my actions. I want people to view me as a nice guy with good moral values. However I'm not gonna limit myself when it comes to the clothes I wear. I see no problem in being well dressed even if my surroundings are not. People tend to have preconception about you purely based on the way you're dressed.

It's easy to adapt and fit into your surrondings, but you lose a part of your identity if you do (in my opinion). And no the way you dress is is not what determines who you're as a individual. However Clothing is a way of expressing something without using words, wich is the beauty of it.

It's also important to keep in mind that you can not please everyone, and there is no need to! It's pointless to care about negative comments from randoms unless it's constructive or from people close to you.

Just wanted to clearify my stands on the subject. Sweet instagram btw, keep it up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads