• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this tie too much for interviews?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is for law school interviews.

Plainest navy suit you can buy, plain white shirt, plain black shoes.

The tie is a Brooks #1 repp in a non-traditional color (tan). The navy and white stripes on the tie look good with the suit and shirt I think, but stripes aren't as conservative as little geometric thingies.

I am totally overthinking this...
plain.gif

montmorency

Reaction score
Relax, the tie is fine. In fact, it looks good. You are overthinking this. Concentrate on your presentation instead; what distinguishes yourself and what you will bring to a firm.

By the way, I am a partner in a law firm.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn0924db7.jpg

The tie is a Brooks #1 repp in a non-traditional color (tan). The navy and white stripes on the tie look good with the suit and shirt I think, but stripes aren't as conservative as little geometric thingies.

plain.gif

Law Firm interviews...you might want to rethink it, but I think it would probably be fine for law school interviews. I like it a great deal as a matter of fact.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will probably be better and more-appropriately dressed than 90% of the candidates. Enter the interview with confidence and pride.

penguin vic

Reaction score
plain.gif

I think you are.

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Law Firm interviews...you might want to rethink it...

Why not for firm interviews? Doesn't seem outlandish. Then again I don't know much about US law firm recruitment.

Abudeeba

Reaction score
I'm an attorney and you look fine. Now dazzle em in the interview by telling them you'll look this good after billing 2000 hours your first year.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Enter the interview with confidence and pride.

Thats it! (The tie is OK!)

jabreal00

Reaction score
Are you in Law school applying to Law firms? Otherwise I thought the application process for Law school did not involve interviews. Anyways, it's fine.

chackett

Reaction score
I'd go with a slimmer "Eisenhower" repp tie.. and your collar looks bunched. Otherwise, well done, just the right amount of cuff.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie's great. The knot needs work, if the picture's accurate.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jabreal00
Are you in Law school applying to Law firms? Otherwise I thought the application process for Law school did not involve interviews. Anyways, it's fine.
Ditto. I have never heard of law school interviews and I went to law school (maybe on campus job interviews?). Your outfit looks okay. Gents, would it be too risque for the lad to wear a pocket square?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads