• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this the new style for suits?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a lot of confusion and conflation in this thread.

There are two things going on here: the concave shape of the shoulder line, and the roping of the sleeve head. The two do not always go together.

The shoulder line you depict is concave and called a "pagoda" shoulder. It refers to the curvature of the shoulder's line between the collar and the seam between the sleeve and jacket body. It does not include the sleeve or sleeve head and is defined completely distinct from them.

"Roped shoulder" is commonly used to describe the mounded sleeve head in the picture. However, the term is a little confusing, as it it refers to the shaping of the sleeve head (the top of the sleeve, where it meets the jacket body) and has nothing to do with the shoulder line. Note, there is no actually roping in a roped shoulder. It just looks that way.

You do not need to combine a roped sleeve head with a pagoda shoulder line, though they are often paired.

Finally, though it has become common to use "Neapolitan" to describe a certain sort of shoulder treatment, that is also misleading. What is commonly commercialized as a "Neapolitan shoulder" is a sleeve head set into the shoulder seam as one would a shirt sleeve ("spalla camicia" means "shirt sleeve"). Why is that wrong? Because over the course of Neapolitan tailoring history, many different treatments of the sleeve head have been popular--including roped shoulders. Also, the terminology ignores the shape of the shoulder line. Common "Neapolitan" RTW brands like Kiton and Isaia sell jackets with very straight shoulder lines. There is nothing wrong with that, but today's Neapolitan bespoke tailors seem to either prefer a much more naturally rounded shoulder line (most common) or a pagoda-type shoulder (more rare).

There is nothing about roped, pagoda shoulders that is more English or Savile Row than Neapolitan. Unless, of course, you are relying on GQ-level tailoring terminology.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up an Armani Collezioni suit and I noticed the shoulders seem a bit higher than the rest of the suit. Here's a pic example from another Armani suit on the website ($1,800)

Is this a maternity suit? He sure does look pregnant...

Bexcellence

Reaction score

The ever-ebullient Eddie Rowlands made me an odd jacket some years ago featuring a fairly soft shoulder and a heavily roped sleevehead. It's the only one I have like it and I'm quite fond of that styling feature.
The older I get, the more I find myself moving away from The Drape and admiring a firm shoulder with a roped armhole. It doesn't work if you are already boxy, but on tall thin chaps like me, it has its advantages.
BTW, the suit in the OP's picture has so much wrong with it that I hardly know where to begin.

whats wrong with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads