1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is This The Latest MLM Scam?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Tck13, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^ The main thing that made me go in the first place is that I had some family friends that made about 150k/yr doing it.

2. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    ^^ The main thing that made me go in the first place is that I had some family friends that made about 150k/yr doing it.
    Are you absolutely sure? Did you see the bank statements?

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

I went to a Quixtar meeting a few years back. I couldn't believe people fell for that shit. Nevermind the pyramid scheme itself, but to actually be fooled by obvious plants in the crowd that shout "BOOYAH!" and "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" on que? Come on.

4. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago looking at a book about real estate. This guy approaches with, "Have you made any moves in real estate yet? If not I have a great business opportunity for you...."
    He handed me his business card that said "John Smith - Independent business owner" with a Quixtar logo on it. I laughed and handed it back to him. He was pretty upset.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

of the ones that are legal, if youre good at sales and grind the phone or the pavement you can make bank. aflac is essentially this and you can make a lot of moolah.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The company I worked for had some people who were pulling down millions. Not many, though, and I'm very sure that the people making that money were working their ass off and had unique bullshitting skills.

TBH, whenever I think about that company I get kind of annoyed at myself for working there. Work is work, of course, but this was a company literally selling sugar pills to dying people as a cure for cancer. I would mention their name except that one of the things I did when I was there was to use a web crawler to hunt down places on the internet where people were using their name and send out cease and desist letters. [​IMG]

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I never know what to say to these people. I'd really like to tell them to go fuck themselves right off the bat. (...)
    I've generally had variations on the same answer: sometimes it was that I was returning to school and didn't expect to have the time to make an honest go of it. A few times I was working for a small start-up and - again - didn't have the time to make an honest go of it. After that I was on the exec track at a small firm and - once again - didn't have the time to make an honest go of it. These days I have far too much on my plate to add anything else. My key to refusing is pretty much to diplomatically say that I have too many other priorities going on, and working to make money for you - random person with a Quixtar card - is going to rank somewhere on the priority scale between voluntary castration and shoving my head into my rear.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago looking at a book about real estate. This guy approaches with, "Have you made any moves in real estate yet? If not I have a great business opportunity for you...."
    He handed me his business card that said "John Smith - Independent business owner" with a Quixtar logo on it. I laughed and handed it back to him. He was pretty upset.

HAH SAME situation here, but I didn't laugh, I wanted to see what he was all about after handing me a business card printed on a bad bubblejet printer.

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

there are also outfits like sunlife financial that is borderline mlm with the way they do business, imo. offering education plans, retirement plans, etc, that if you study it have less yields than most time deposit rates, offered by "financial consultants" who are likely to have no educational background in finance whatsoever, reporting to their "area heads", and getting their share of the cuts when someone signs up for one of their "investment" schemes. I also had offers from friends who work in this kind of industry that I also severed ties with. fucking users.

10. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard. I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

That's crazy, because My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard. I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

Kyani juice, that's the newest MLM scam.

12. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Yes, because he told me and because he was the head of the "chapter" or whatever I went to that had over 100 people under him doing the same thing. He also went to all the super exclusive secret meetings with higher ups in the company, which is apparently a big deal.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard. I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

my new rule is that any time I see a link to "live project training": No Thanx.

14. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

On the 4th of July, I received one of the hardest fucking MLM sales pitches I've ever heard. I have a younger family member who became involved with an MLM company about 2 years ago. I must admit, he's doing well with it. But he's become brain-washed into thinking that MLM is the only way to be self-employed. I actually have my own Business Consulting Firm, so I have my own business. He knows about my business, but get this! He tells me: "You might have your own business, but the only way to be truly independent is by getting involved with the opportunity I'm offering you." Keep in mind that my business makes more in a month than he makes in a year. He seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking that MLM is the only way to get rich. People have been getting rich long before MLM and will continue to get rich long after it.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

On the 4th of July, I received one of the hardest fucking MLM sales pitches I've ever heard. I have a younger family member who became involved with an MLM company about 2 years ago. I must admit, he's doing well with it. But he's become brain-washed into thinking that MLM is the only way to be self-employed. I actually have my own Business Consulting Firm, so I have my own business. He knows about my business, but get this! He tells me: "You might have your own business, but the only way to be truly independent is by getting involved with the opportunity I'm offering you." Keep in mind that my business makes more in a month than he makes in a year. He seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking that MLM is the only way to get rich. People have been getting rich long before MLM and will continue to get rich long after it.

W T F ? He isn't independent, he is working for an organization.

16. Salad

Salad Senior member

A couple of experience with this:

Many moons ago a guy who commuted on the same train as I did hit my up about some Amway opportunity. Basically he said I could make enough money to stop commuting everyday. I pointed out that we ride the same train together everyday but that didn't deter his pitch. Finally I accepted some sales material to shut him up. Over the next couple of days, dude was on me to go to meetings, etc. I handed him back the unread brochures the next time I saw him and he was butt hurt, like really personally hurt! Creepy. I started to ride further back on the train to aviod him.

More recently a friend/ex-coworker approached me about this and I knew the only way to nip this in the bud was to be direct but not harsh, after all, we were friends. Anyway, after emails and phone calls and happy hours, I just told her to knock it off already, it was ruining happy hour, for cryin' out loud! I wasn't mean, I just said it was enough already. Haven't spoke to her since.
    What is it about the cult like dedication? They seem to take rejection personally not professionally.

17. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Generally, people are trying to make THEMSELVES money. When someone starts talking about making YOU money, they're bullshitting you. Pretty simple.

18. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

W T F ? He isn't independent, he is working for an organization.
    Hahahaha
    Try telling him that!