1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is This The Latest MLM Scam?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Tck13, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I have a couple of acquaintances trying to get me to come to their "meetings" to discuss "business opportunities".

I'm pretty sure it's the latest energy deregulation scam (Igni7e) or Prim3Arica bullshit. Does anyone know about either of these two things?

Have you been accosted by these people?

I coded the words as to not attract iDickhead MLM'rs.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Eugh, I've been hassled over people over that kind of thing for years. Former co-workers, neighbors, passing acquaintances, and random people. My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Eugh, I've been hassled over people over that kind of thing for years. Former co-workers, neighbors, passing acquaintances, and random people. My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard.

I never know what to say to these people. I'd really like to tell them to go fuck themselves right off the bat.

Some of my acquaintances are actually pretty successful in other areas and I'm not sure how they get involved in this bullshit?!?!

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

ha ha...can't believe i almost sent in my resume and cover letter to a RVP in my hometown. will think twice now

5. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

I met a lady recently who harassed me about some MLM crap. I think the company was called Organo Coffee. I actually do business, so I know it's all BS when someone approaches me and say, "I have a 'business opportunity' for you." She just couldn't deal with the fact that I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

The newest I've hard is Kylani juice or something, another Noni type scam. Wonderful opportunity for you to sucker your friends and family into being distributors on their own nickel, and saturating a market in 3, 2, 1...

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

My first job after law school was working for one of these mlm snake oil companies. We almost got sued out of business by the Texas AG, by the SEC, and by our shareholders, all for different reasons.

I think the free market is taking care of them now.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

My old ophthalmologist once told me about a "business opportunity", when I asked him to explain, he was really unable to do so. Unless you know the person really well, almsot always there is something rotten in the state of denmark.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i was accosted by a former employer of all people. it was for a diferent company but same idea. i guess we are in different regions. anyhow i looked into it, it seems legit but its not easy money.

like anything else they make it sound like you could made anywhere from good to a lot of cash with a few hours a week of work on the side. not true. would be another full time job. and of course the first thing they ask is that you whore yourself out to friends and family first. blech. after texting and calling me for a week straight he gave up.

10. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

i was accosted by a former employer of all people. it was for a diferent company but same idea. i guess we are in different regions. anyhow i looked into it, it seems legit but its not easy money.

like anything else they make it sound like you could made anywhere from good to a lot of cash with a few hours a week of work on the side. not true. would be another full time job. and of course the first thing they ask is that you whore yourself out to friends and family first. blech. after texting and calling me for a week straight he gave up.

Unfortunately, the guy that was coming after me (whom I've known for years) wasn't giving up. I told him that maybe I'd stop by one of the meeting at a later time and he kept calling to confirm when I was going.

Finally, I told him that I was not interested in a part time business opportunity right now and he said he understood, but he would check back in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's like they prey on your politeness.

I won't be nice about it next time.

11. in stitches

Unfortunately, the guy that was coming after me (whom I've known for years) wasn't giving up. I told him that maybe I'd stop by one of the meeting at a later time and he kept calling to confirm when I was going.

Finally, I told him that I was not interested in a part time business opportunity right now and he said he understood, but he would check back in a couple of weeks.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's like they prey on your politeness.

I won't be nice about it next time

100%. the nicer you are the more they lean in. its sucks to respond harshly, especially to a friend. but you have to lay down the law, as nicely as you can, but very clearly or he will not relent. good luck.

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

100%. the nicer you are the more they lean in. its sucks to respond harshly, especially to a friend. but you have to lay down the law, as nicely as you can, but very clearly or he will not relent. good luck.

It's almost like they expect and prey on that niceness.

13. Uncle Theodore

Uncle Theodore Member

My nephew Alex lost his entire savings by signing up for one of these MLM scams! It was about 4 years ago, he signed up for some kind of new-fangled energy drink. They made him buy in a big bulk order, not to return the merchandise if he could not get other people to sell it for him. I do not understand how this is different from a racket!!

14. in stitches

It's almost like they expect and prey on that niceness.

they do. and tbh it what allows them to be successful at these things. the fact you cant swallow being slightly rude to someone who is trying to take advantage of you (im the same so no offence) leads me to believe its not the job for you.

maybe tell him that.

15. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I did the Quixstar/Amway thing for about 3 months when I was 18. Haha don't know what I was thinking. Guess you can add me to the too nice to turn someone down.

16. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I did the Quixstar/Amway thing for about 3 months when I was 18. Haha don't know what I was thinking. Guess you can add me to the too nice to turn someone down.

I did it to when I was 24 to hook up with a girl. She wasn't having it so I hooked up with one of her friends at one of those Amway confrences. They then cornered me into signing up to start buying CD's to inspire me. I said sure and never showed up again.

17. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I have severed contact with some friends in the past because they have the fucking gall to approach me and use the words "business opportunities" on me. friends don't bait their friends.

18. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    I have severed contact with some friends in the past because they have the fucking gall to approach me and use the words "business opportunities" on me. friends don't bait their friends.
    This. I had to have a serious conversation with a 'friend' about such a thing. I pointed out to them in the last 3 years they've approached me with all sorts of things that were going to be "FANTASTIC!" but weren't and probably lost them money. "How long have you known me? Do you have ANY idea what I do? And you're calling me up about selling juice to strangers? Have you lost your fucking mind?" [​IMG]

19. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Senior member

This.

I had to have a serious conversation with a 'friend' about such a thing. I pointed out to them in the last 3 years they've approached me with all sorts of things that were going to be "FANTASTIC!" but weren't and probably lost them money.

"How long have you known me? Do you have ANY idea what I do? And you're calling me up about selling juice to strangers? Have you lost your fucking mind?" [​IMG]

[​IMG] And how did these "FANTASTIC" opportunities turn out for them?

That's one question you can always ask an MLM'er when they approach you about their so-called "business opportunity." Just ask them, "How has it worked out FOR YOU? Don't tell me about some other guy who told you about some other guy whose a millionaire. I want YOUR results."

Most of them will go on about how this is the next best thing, how there's so much money to be made, but yet, they haven't made any money. That one question will shut them down quick.

I'll be fair, however, and admit that I know a guy whose made somewhere around 10 Million Dollars in MLM in less than ten years. Not with just one company. This guy shifted from Noni Juice, to Monavie, and now he's with some Weight Loss Company. But this guy is a master salesman. I'll give him credit as well...he does help his team make money too. But his story definitely isn't typical. And in case anyone wishes to confirm that this guy exists, google the name: Robert Dean.

20. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

These assholes have approached me numerous times at grocery stores and gas stations.

The first time it happened I was in college, and was naive enough to actually attend a meeting. I walked out once the pyramid-shaped diagram appeared on the projector screen.