• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this tendonitis? How do I prevent it?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I do some specific physical activity regularly for a few weeks straight, I seem to get a lot of pain in one of the tendons (I think) used in the movement. This happened with my foot playing racquetball and with my forearm playing the drums. As soon as I stop, it stops hurting, but if I try to go back to the activity within a several-week period, it will immediately flare up again. What is this, and can I prevent it?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where exactly is it hurting and when, specifically, does it hurt?

I don't know about the tennis, but with the drumming it's *probably* not tendonitis. It could be a symptom of overuse, or you might be clenching your forearm muscles when you play, causing them to seize up and hurt. If your forearm is relaxed and you're using proper wrist and finger action, you shouldn't be getting pain.

Edit: If this is what's going on, you should probably work on your endurance. Try playing a double-stroke roll for 5 minutes straight at the fastest tempo possible. Do this at the end of practice.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
and with my forearm playing the drums.

I have tricep tendonitis because of drumming and hammering from construction. I SO wish I had kept playing with the correct technique of using my wrists and fingers instead trying to be all rock star drummer and using my arms. The funniest/saddest part is the sports doctor I went to said drumming hard on my dashboard in my car probably also contributed to it. Damn you Foo Fighters!

SJTrance

Reaction score
It certainly seems like overuse tendonitis. It's common when you subject your body to a new stress repeatedly. I'm sure that if you have a stretching program and proper warm up, you should be ok. Further more, when starting a new activity for a period, it is a good idea to do sport/hobby specific exercises before you start the activity in order to prevent the body's shock.

Tennis elbow or Golfers elbow (both different) can be cause many other things other than tennis or golf. Was the pain near your elbow? The foot pain...was it at the heel, on the inside? Maybe a plantar fasciitis? Look these things up and see if their symptoms match yours.

PS: I'm a licensed physical therapist.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
It certainly seems like overuse tendonitis.

Do you know why NFL players where those bands above their elbow? That's EXACTLY where my tendonitis is... between the elbow and triceps. I would think something like this putting pressure on the tendon would help right? I've looked online but cant find the thin bands the nfl players wear, like the little black ones in the first picture.

merriman06.jpg

steven-jackson-1.jpg

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
It certainly seems like overuse tendonitis. It's common when you subject your body to a new stress repeatedly. I'm sure that if you have a stretching program and proper warm up, you should be ok. Further more, when starting a new activity for a period, it is a good idea to do sport/hobby specific exercises before you start the activity in order to prevent the body's shock.

Tennis elbow or Golfers elbow (both different) can be cause many other things other than tennis or golf. Was the pain near your elbow? The foot pain...was it at the heel, on the inside? Maybe a plantar fasciitis? Look these things up and see if their symptoms match yours.

Thanks for the advice. The foot pain was between my first and second metatarsals, so I don't think it was plantar fasciitis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads