• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit worth it? A used Hickey for $175?

asparagoose

Reaction score
Is this suit worth $175?

It's my (hard to find) size (narrow-ish shoulders/chest, but a 37.5" waist and a 31.5" inseam), and I need a solid navy for interviewing. The cut also seems quite conservative, which is good for my purpose.

By the seller's representations...

1. The time period given is circa 1998-2004.

2. There's no bubbling on the chest part of the lapels, but there is minor bubbling on the collar.

3, No discoloration from over-drycleaning/ironing

$175 seems like a lot to pay for a used suit. I was hoping to score something for under $100. But if this item is decent and will last me longer than new suits in the same price range, I may go for it...?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asparagoose
Is this suit worth $175?

It's my (hard to find) size (narrow-ish shoulders/chest, but a 37.5" waist and a 31.5" inseam), and I need a solid navy for interviewing. The cut also seems quite conservative, which is good for my purpose.

2. There's no bubbling on the chest part of the lapels, but there is minor bubbling on the collar.

$175 seems like a lot to pay for a used suit. I was hoping to score something for under $100. But if this item is decent and will last me longer than new suits in the same price range, I may go for it...?

Price is OK.

If you want to pay less, offer less and see what happens.

He should have fixed the lining issue, then there would be nothing to explain.

I don't see the bubbling in the lining you mention. This should be a full-canvas suit. Very slight puckering may be caused by handsewing lapel edges, but this is not a defect.

JohnD356

Reaction score
If you're serious about this suit, contact the seller saying so and get more pictures.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asparagoose
Is this suit worth $175?

shoulder 18" and chest 46" ???

Just for reference, 18" shoulder is a typical HF 38/40, chest 46" is a typical HF 42/43.

Based on the label, it is quite old.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no way this suit is 1998-2004. Probably more like 1980s. Price is far too high for a suit of this vintage that is otherwise nothing special.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i would say definitely not. Ive been screwed over buying preowned on ebay so many times. most of the stuff ends up being very low quality thrifted. Not to say thrifted is bad, but its not worth it at that price point. for a little more, you can probably get something new and much better on SF.

oaw01

Reaction score
Hells no.. Like the poster above - you can find that in a thrift store. Currently, there are alot of suits on sale at the outlet. Two weeks ago at the Saks outlet - they had Canali, HF, Boss, and other suits half off for $500 to $400 - so cost would have been $250 - $200. Unfortunately, there wasn't any in my size.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get good, recent HF suits at the <$40 price range all the time. All you have to have is patience (and a fast sniping mouse click).

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
Price is not worth it.
358aee4cc897452c00244351e4d91f69.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks way too expensive and a rag to-boot!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
175 is a lot for a used suit, Not that i buy used suits but if i did I would not spend over 100 unless it was a high quality brand. However from the picture if you hadn't told me it was used I wouldn't have know it was, but I still wouldn't go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads