• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit worth altering?

awevss

Reaction score
I bought this tuxedo on eBay and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth spending $ on alterations. I'm posting it here because I won't have time to show it to a tailor for another week or so, and I'd like to make a decision ASAP about whether to keep the suit. The suit is apparently Ermenegildo Zegna MTM (the tag says "su misura") but it also has a tag saying 50L, which is my size.

Things I'm wondering about:
  • Are the shoulders too big? If so, could a tailor fix this? The shoulders are bigger than I'm used to, but I feel like more padding might be appropriate for a formal suit, and I wondered if this jacket could just be an example of extended shoulders (like in this Put This On article)
  • Is the body too loose? I assume that the tailor will recommend taking it in a bit.
  • Is it too long? It feels a little long, but the hem is even with the knuckle of my thumb, which I think is in the classic range. I want my wedding suit to have a classic design, so I definitely do no want the length too short or contemporary.
Thanks in advance!

front.JPG

front zoom.JPG

back.JPG

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m general it’s not terrible. It’s a Roman shoulder so yes; it’s supposed to be built up. Taking padding away may trigger the need for shoulder alteration and if that’s the case, it may cost a bit of money.

The jacket needs to be tailored in a bit as well.

As to the cost, I have no idea.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket looks like it might be a size too big. Or the silhouette may just not be right for you.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
The body looks long. I usually wouldn't recommend shortening the body, but the button and pocket stances here are fine... So it could happen.

The shoulders aren't perfect, but you'd probably be able to live with them.

The back needs to be cleaned up...

It's easier for a tailor to say in person. Take it to your tailor, see what happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads