• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit too fashiony?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a little fashiony, but still tasteful. I'd wear it casually myself, and I've actually been watching ebay for a similiar RLPL suit closer to my size.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the glenplaid pattern imbues classic style into it so that it won't be viewed as fashiony, although obviously this is not a conservative suit. It's a great suit, especially with the side-buckle pants.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think its too fashiony at all. An inch shorter isn't going to make it look like Thom Browne or anything (unless a Regular is just barely long enough), so i say
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think it looks fine. Single breasted peak lapel suits go back much farther than you may think. So do shorter jackets. No one is original in "fashion."
smile.gif
As long as the sleeve length is acceptable, I see no reason why it shouldn't be snatched up. Don't put on the belt loops if you ask me, though. It'll look much better without (more classic in going with the style and pattern) and those side adjusters will do fine.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did any of you guys take into account that it's cashmere/silk? I think the combination of that, the pattern, the styling, and the length adds up to enough to keep it out of the office. That being said, everything about this suit is stylish as well as fashiony, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as a casual suit.

(Although Thick As Thieves also has a peaked-lapel in Prince of Wales...)

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I dont think its too fashiony at all. An inch shorter isn't going to make it look like Thom Browne or anything (unless a Regular is just barely long enough), so i say
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

No, idealy i like 31.25 and thats getting really picky so anything between 30.75 and 31.5 usually is fine. My Regulars usually hit one inch past my butt so 30.75 is just covering.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Did any of you guys take into account that it's cashmere/silk? I think the combination of that, the pattern, the styling, and the length adds up to enough to keep it out of the office. That being said, everything about this suit is stylish as well as fashiony, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as a casual suit.

(Although Thick As Thieves also has a peaked-lapel in Prince of Wales...)

Whats your take on the material? I thought because of the cashmere that it would be more of a winter suit but then the silk throws me off.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Definitely not an office suit, no. Not today anyways.
sarcasm.gif
I find it endlessly amusing that what was acceptable in the heyday of men's suits is suddenly "too fashionable" these days.

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
I'm obviously not "getting" this sartorial stuff, as I think that suit looks fugly (which doubtless says more about me than it does about the suit or potential buyer!).

I think I'll voluntarilly banish myself to the "Streetwear" forums and lust at GetSmart's new range!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Everyone has their own tastes... nobody wants to get rid of you because you have a differing opinion.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I find it endlessly amusing that what was acceptable in the heyday of men's suits is suddenly "too fashionable" these days.

yea sometimes I'm surprised at what members think is too "fashion-y" or "out there".

I think this suit looks great. And my size too, after alterations to the way I like it I end up with what's considered a "short" anyways.

Now if only BMW didnt want $900 for my scheduled brake/rotor change...
frown.gif

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Definitely not an office suit, no. Not today anyways.
sarcasm.gif
I find it endlessly amusing that what was acceptable in the heyday of style is suddenly "too fashionable" these days.

Well your somewhat contradicting yourself by saying its timeless and then saying it shouldnt be worn at the office. I realize it shouldnt be worn at the office and thats why i was asking if its toooo fashiony to wear at all. I think anything that comes close to not covering your ass is nearing fashiony as well as that every single design house out there is doing peak lapels at this moment in time, thats what made me question it as fashiony. Now Jovan, do you own any suits that are made of cashmere and silk and can you tell me the purpose/reasoning behind this odd mixture?

Kasper

Reaction score
I like the glen plaid pattern but I think the pointy lapels are not acceptable for business purposes.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its an appropriate suit, for any occasion. Can be dressed up for afternoon events, dressed down for evening events, or played straight for business.

This business about the fabric content making it inappropriate for the office is total hooey. Nobody's gonna send you home or threaten your career simply because you're wearing a suit made of fine fabrics, unless it gives off a gleam from 20 paces. (When was the last time you poked fun at someone, or held them up for ridicule because they were wearing cashmere, silk, or a cashmere silk blend?) Surely, the people who might have the ability to break your balls or impair your progress have more important things on their minds -- we hope -- than the content of your suit on a given day. If not, you're probably with the wrong firm/company.

In fact, even if somebody were interested enough to feel it, chances are, in today's world, they wouldn't have a clue as to fabric content. Moreover, a guy who's professional and conscientious enough to still even wear a suit is elegant enough to wear fine fabrics, IMO. If you like it, buy it; and be creative in how you wear it. Glory comes to those with gumption.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads