• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit too fashiony?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Ron. I would certainly wear it to the office. It has some features that I am not crazy about, but none of them make it to fashiony.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If even one guy at your level/in your group can get away with "clothes be damned" slovenly indifference (i.e., chinos, sweater and chukka boots/weejuns) how can you be criticized for giving a damn and trying to hold the line on respectability? Is not your style entitled to at least the same level of silent respect? Of course it is.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wore suits to work -- alas, my current position precludes it -- I would certainly wear this suit. If, that is, I wore glen plaid.

Short answer: Not too "fashiony".

Leslierc

Reaction score
Great suit - I own it. Purchased "on sale" last summer from Polo store. Be aware that the fit is rather narrow (typical of Purple Label). I'm usually a 42R, but the 44R in this suit was the better fit for me.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Well your somewhat contradicting yourself by saying its timeless and then saying it shouldnt be worn at the office. I realize it shouldnt be worn at the office and thats why i was asking if its toooo fashiony to wear at all. I think anything that comes close to not covering your ass is nearing fashiony as well as that every single design house out there is doing peak lapels at this moment in time, thats what made me question it as fashiony. Now Jovan, do you own any suits that are made of cashmere and silk and can you tell me the purpose/reasoning behind this odd mixture?
No I'm not. I said it's not a suit for the office despite its timelessness because a lot of firms don't like any bit of "flashiness," namely peak lapels. It's ridiculous, but that's how it is. You can always ask the manager though.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome threads. You'd be a dumbshit not to wear that.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, fess up. who bought it? I hope you know it doesnt come with button holes for the sleeves and that is why it was priced low. I was going to pass on it anyways, I'm either going to get some more MTM shirts or for a couple hundred more get a bespoke sports jacket. Thanks for all your comments.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Great suit - I own it. Purchased "on sale' last summer from Polo store. Be aware that the fit is rather narrow (typical of Purple Label). I'm usually a 42R, but the 44R in this suit was the better fit for me.

Yeah i know, thats why the only RTW suits and jackets i buy are RLPL. All the Neapolitans are too big for me. I think RLPL is the slimist cut out there.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Yeah i know, thats why the only RTW suits and jackets i buy are RLPL. All the Neapolitans are too big for me. I think RLPL is the slimist cut out there.

Actually, the RL Black Label is an even slimmer cut.

Sorry that you didn't get the suit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen and tried on this suit in the flesh (not THIS suit in particular but this particular model). It's a lovely soft material, the cut is the typical RLPL moderately slim, fairly waist-suppressed and fits just like other RLPL 38S do. If you like glen plaid as a pattern, the auction is a pretty good price. I don't generally wear such a bold glen plaid but I think it's a perfectly acceptable business fabric though more a Friday suit than Monday morning maybe. It's just not right for me personally.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think it looks fantastic, minus the peak lapels. If it was notch lapel I would say it's damn near perfect.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
I think its an appropriate suit, for any occasion. Can be dressed up for afternoon events, dressed down for evening events, or played straight for business.

This business about the fabric content making it inappropriate for the office is total hooey. Nobody's gonna send you home or threaten your career simply because you're wearing a suit made of fine fabrics, unless it gives off a gleam from 20 paces. (When was the last time you poked fun at someone, or held them up for ridicule because they were wearing cashmere, silk, or a cashmere silk blend?) Surely, the people who might have the ability to break your balls or impair your progress have more important things on their minds -- we hope -- than the content of your suit on a given day. If not, you're probably with the wrong firm/company.

In fact, even if somebody were interested enough to feel it, chances are, in today's world, they wouldn't have a clue as to fabric content. Moreover, a guy who's professional and conscientious enough to still even wear a suit is elegant enough to wear fine fabrics, IMO. If you like it, buy it; and be creative in how you wear it. Glory comes to those with gumption.

+1

Well said.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I think it looks fantastic, minus the peak lapels. If it was notch lapel I would say it's damn near perfect.
What, may I ask, is wrong with peak lapels?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
What, may I ask, is wrong with peak lapels?
I personally don't like them, and they would keep me from wearing this suit, but they are fine if you like 'em.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
To each his own. I think it's a style that's been long overdue coming back into the mainstream.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics