1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this suit hideous?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Like the jacket, hate the trousers. Nothing wrong with the fabric, in the abstract.

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Is there a name for those types of pocket trousers? (other than bad?)

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Oooh.  Wasn't paying attention.  Those are slanted welt pockets.  On the front of a pair of trousers?  If that has a specific name, I am unaware of it.  Not good, I agree.

4. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Poches cavalières

5. Nonk

Nonk Senior Member

It is the work of Satan.

6. Boulevardier

Boulevardier Active Member

Love the jacket.Hate the pants. Right very Steve McQueen in the 'The Thomas Crown Affair'. I want a suit coat JUST LIKE THAT.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Tell us what you really think...

Jon.

8. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

hahaha. good one. Don't worry, I know better than to wear this to work. On the first day [​IMG] I'm concerned about the complexion thing too, and I like bigger patterns. Worst thing to say, I know, but I got a really good deal on it...thus can flip the thing if it doesn't work out.

9. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

Very stylish, and yes, very "Thomas Crown." Not suitable for business wear unless you work in a style-friendly industry, or for a funeral (except maybe at Forest Lawn), but if in accord with one's personal aesthetic, quite smart all the same, especially with turtleneck and Chelsea boots.

10. Renault78law

LOL, suit arrived today. To be honest, it was such a good deal I was a little affraid it might be a fake Brioni. Upon receiving it, I'm certain it's real. "Feels" just like the Brioni I own, and plenty of handwork.

With those pants, I gotta wonder when this suit was made. My other Brioni has a year of manufacture in the pocket, but this one's is blank. Given the slant pockets, and the fact that it came with a skinny self-fabric belt(.)...I'm guessing it's gotta be pretty old, early 70's? Maybe it was dead stock or something? It was NWTs. Anyway, pics to follow.

11. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

A '70s pair of slacks will have minimal rise, small belt loops (for narrow belts), no pleats, will fit tight to the knee and then either flare or fall straight without taper to a wide leg opening. This started to change in the early '80s. Of course, this is all hearsay because I'm not old enough to any first-hand experience (yeah, right).

12. Renault78law

A ridiculous pose for a ridiculous suit. Â I really need to buy a workhorse business suit...anyways, like the belt? Â Very skinny, dunno if a leather belt will fit these loops. Can you think of alternatives? [​IMG] Feeling quite 'Collateral', even though his suit was much different: [​IMG] Nice shot of the pattern matching [​IMG] Fuzzy pic of the front, buttoned [​IMG]

13. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

I really dig that suit.

14. -5pace.pirat3]+

-5pace.pirat3]+ Member

i like the overall setup you have there. but if it were me, i'd try on a different but similer bottom or top so it doesn't look like you were trying hard to match [​IMG] or something. to be on the safe side, maybe just wear it to someplace where it's ok to be "stylish" [​IMG] at first

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I really dig that suit. Its sweet.