• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit coat too long?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should buy it online, so I can't try it on. Opinions?

joneog

Reaction score
unless you're 7' tall yes... even then the button stance would be ridiculous

its going to be hard to find stuff online unless you know exactly what you're looking for

saiyar1

Reaction score
Ask for length of jacket from bottom of collar and sleeve length from top of shoulder. That will tell you if the sleeves were shortened or if jacket is too long. But it looks like the buttons and side pockets are oddly too high. If that's the case and the jacket is a great price and great quality/brand, it would be a great candidate for jacket shortening.
wink.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks wrong but on a dummy?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Ask for length of jacket from bottom of collar and sleeve length from top of shoulder. That will tell you if the sleeves were shortened or if jacket is too long. But it looks like the buttons and side pockets are oddly too high. If that's the case and the jacket is a great price and great quality/brand, it would be a great candidate for jacket shortening.
wink.gif

Right - I was thinking maybe I could just shorten the bottom and it would look okay. It's Armani Collezioni. But the measurements don't seem to square up with the photo. Chest - 43 1/2" Shoulders - 19 1/2" Sleeves - 26" (2" to let) Length - 32" (from the bottom of collar). My best fitting suit coat has 25" sleeves and 32.5" from collar to bottom, and it doesn't look that out of proportion - so one of us must be measuring wrong. I think I'll pass on this one.

saiyar1

Reaction score
HIGHLY unlikely these are the correct measurements. It looks way off from that.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
wink.gif

+1. If the jacket is too long it can be effectively shortened. The button stance and pockets are placed to high anyway.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a new jacket? Looks as if the sleeves have been shortened which may explain the length of the jacket?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Jesus, yes. Can you picture it on and cupping your hands at the hem? Very doubtful it would work. Very odd piece, in fact.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks like the sleeves were altered.
could be its a m2m gone wrong.
weird.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads