• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this suit coat too long?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should buy it online, so I can't try it on. Opinions?

joneog

Reaction score
unless you're 7' tall yes... even then the button stance would be ridiculous

its going to be hard to find stuff online unless you know exactly what you're looking for

saiyar1

Reaction score
Ask for length of jacket from bottom of collar and sleeve length from top of shoulder. That will tell you if the sleeves were shortened or if jacket is too long. But it looks like the buttons and side pockets are oddly too high. If that's the case and the jacket is a great price and great quality/brand, it would be a great candidate for jacket shortening.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks wrong but on a dummy?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Ask for length of jacket from bottom of collar and sleeve length from top of shoulder. That will tell you if the sleeves were shortened or if jacket is too long. But it looks like the buttons and side pockets are oddly too high. If that's the case and the jacket is a great price and great quality/brand, it would be a great candidate for jacket shortening.

Right - I was thinking maybe I could just shorten the bottom and it would look okay. It's Armani Collezioni. But the measurements don't seem to square up with the photo. Chest - 43 1/2" Shoulders - 19 1/2" Sleeves - 26" (2" to let) Length - 32" (from the bottom of collar). My best fitting suit coat has 25" sleeves and 32.5" from collar to bottom, and it doesn't look that out of proportion - so one of us must be measuring wrong. I think I'll pass on this one.

saiyar1

Reaction score
HIGHLY unlikely these are the correct measurements. It looks way off from that.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1

+1. If the jacket is too long it can be effectively shortened. The button stance and pockets are placed to high anyway.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a new jacket? Looks as if the sleeves have been shortened which may explain the length of the jacket?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Jesus, yes. Can you picture it on and cupping your hands at the hem? Very doubtful it would work. Very odd piece, in fact.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks like the sleeves were altered.
could be its a m2m gone wrong.
weird.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10