• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this sport coat too long?

Coolguy35

Reaction score
It seems too billowy and wide around the hips. It’s making me look fatter than I am.

I’m wearing this to a work party at a nice bar, so I don’t want it looking too formal.
7BE90548-2075-4E54-AA82-6F5BE2D06391.jpeg
3A24C9E7-48B9-4D29-A74D-A875F266F515.png

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
^
All jackets look something like that when unbuttoned, so how do we tell? And you do have a bit of a belly. So maybe it looks just like you, were you expecting something different?

Your thread title addresses something different, you ask if it's too long? No, it isn't.

Coolguy35

Reaction score
^
All jackets look something like that when unbuttoned, so how do we tell? And you do have a bit of a belly. So maybe it looks just like you, were you expecting something different?

Your thread title addresses something different, you ask if it's too long? No, it isn't.
I guess my issue is the back makes me look like a peacock. It’s so wide around my hips.

It makes it look to formal. I thought sports coats were supposed to be more fitted.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
The analogy sounds like you might not be that familiar with peacocks. Whatever, most jackets will look like yours does when unbuttoned. It appears that the rear flap is still basted shut on the right, not sure because of the photograph, but the left is definitely not. So you might try tacking, which is to lightly sew an unseen stitch, to hold both sides of the flap down. Line up the pattern first, as you see on the left it is not.

Coolguy35

Reaction score
The analogy sounds like you might not be that familiar with peacocks. Whatever, most jackets will look like yours does when unbuttoned. It appears that the rear flap is still basted shut on the right, not sure because of the photograph, but the left is definitely not. So you might try tacking, which is to lightly sew an unseen stitch, to hold both sides of the flap down. Line up the pattern first, as you see on the left it is not.
Neither side is basted, a piece of the string got left on there.

So what do you suggest I ask the tailor for? Overall, I just want the whole jacket to fit a little tighter, especially in the lower back

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
^
With both hands, line up the pattern both vertically and horizontally, on the jacket with the flap, hold together with one hand while in the other you pin it together at the very bottom. Do this on both sides. Look in the mirror. Does that help? Then take it to the tailor like that.

Coolguy35

Reaction score
^
With both hands, line up the pattern both vertically and horizontally, on the jacket with the flap, hold together with one hand while in the other you pin it together at the very bottom. Do this on both sides. Look in the mirror. Does that help? Then take it to the tailor like that.
Sorry, I know I sound stupid but I don’t know what you mean by this. Could you explain it in simpler terms. I’m new to this

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
^
If you have access to pins, or even large paper clips or safety pins, pin or clip the back flap down to the jacket itself, at each bottom corner of the flap. Line the patterns up first. This approximates where a tailor would actually tack the flap shut. Put on, look in the mirror, and see if you like.

KOz

Reaction score
It would be a big help if you posted pictures with the jacket buttoned, as well as a side profile.

Either way, I suspect it's too tight in the chest and waist. If the waist is too tight it can certainly make the bottom of the jacket flare out more. It might be better to get something with a custom fit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petermcghee86