• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this smart casual outfit good enough for an interview?

Azo

Reaction score
... I don't think so, so I'm looking forward for some suggestions:
- white dress shirt
- black v-neck sweater
- light grey / beige chinos (which color should I choose?)
- black shoes (but which kind? I was thinking something between dressy and everyday shoes. Or should I go for brown ones?)

Will be buying these tomorrow for a job interview the day after tomorrow. I scoured the market today, so I've somewhat made the choice regarding the first three items.

Should I also buy a sports coat? Which color?

Macallan

Reaction score
Generally, no. A grey or navy suits, if not a suit then a jacket and smart trousers (i.e. navy blazer, dark trousers).

If you want to go for a smart casual look: navy chinos, white shirt, beige sweater and dark brown shoes.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, you should wear a suit for interviews.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you OP? What type of job are you applying for? You don't need a suit for entry level cashier at McDonalds.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once again:
Interview=suit!

teacha.gif

Azo

Reaction score
Ok, will be wearing a suit.
smile.gif
I have a dark navy one with blue stripes that don't stand out. The stripes are ~1 cm apart. I will be buying a white dress shirt and a pair of dress shoes tomorrow. Is this ok? Please post a link to the type of shoes I should be buying. Also: what kind of a tie to match the suit and the shirt? Any other details I should be careful to? Note that what is obvious to you may be unheard of to my ears.
blush.gif
I am 23 and the interview is for a position in software development.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azo
Ok, will be wearing a suit.
smile.gif

I have a dark navy one with blue stripes that don't stand out. The stripes are ~1 cm apart.

I will be buying a white dress shirt and a pair of dress shoes tomorrow. Is this ok?

Please post a link to the type of shoes I should be buying.

Also: what kind of a tie to match the suit and the shirt?

I am 23 and the interview is for software development.

much better^^. chocolate brown shoes work with navy and white shirt. BENCHMARK outfit!! you have a template that will allow you to wear various ties!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Dress for the position you want to be promoted into, not the position you are applying for.

to OP, remember these words, it works ...

RedRaider

Reaction score
The IT world is a whole different monster. I wouldn't suggest it, but many IT companies don't really have a dress code. I am talking programmer level type stuff - not management.

In any matter I wear a suit to all interviews, regardless of position, company or industry.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Dress for the position you want to be promoted into, not the position you are applying for.

Couldn't agree more.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
much better^^. chocolate brown shoes work with navy and white shirt. BENCHMARK outfit!! you have a template that will allow you to wear various ties!

I would recommend black captoes for a first interview/first professional shoe. Allen Edmonds Park Avenues as suggested 1million times on here or something similar.

OP, what is your budget for shoes and such?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I tried the Ron Jeremy outfit for a consulting gig. Didn't quite work out.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear a suit even if you're interviewing for a janitorial position. It shows respect and your intentions to move on up. Plus, chicks dig it (not that there will be any chicks in a software company).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads