• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this situation normal and acceptable to a new shoes?

larthur

Reaction score
I just received my new pair of Carmina wholecuts in Calf tan from the Armoury, the shoes just looks simply gorgeous, the leather quality looks very good and I even think it is above the C&J handgrade by comparing what I have the Selbourne and Belgrave. The UK7.5 sizes of the Inca last perfectly fits with my wide foot, it is very comfortable and I don't feel any burden on my toes and foot, everything looks so good untill...
5489016078eb8a1b391b.jpg
5488420159331448dd99.jpg
Till I faced it down and watched the bottom of the shoes… There is a big gap on the heel between the rubber cover, and I measured the spacing around 1mm to 1.5mm widest...it looks like a miss-assemlby to cause the rubber cover not aligned. Honestly, I never saw this happened on my so called “high end shoes” or even those normal shoes……
5485762534d4fa6819aa.jpg
5485767266e8e32fe432.jpg
Will you guys consider it as a defective item? or it is just a normal situation and can be acceptalbe ?? Please let me know your thoughts.

Raralith

Reaction score
Does it feel loose? If not, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't consider it defective.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
Does it feel loose? If not, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't consider it defective.
+1 those shoes look like you paid a nice chunk of money for them, i would expect a pretty perfect specimen for 'high end' prices

larthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith

No. it doesn't feel loose, but just looks not that well made..
eh.gif

larthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
+1
those shoes look like you paid a nice chunk of money for them, i would expect a pretty perfect specimen for 'high end' prices

Yes, I do pay the full retail and do expect anything in perfect...but...
cloud.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by larthur
There is a big gap on the heel between the rubber cover, and I measured the spacing around 1mm to 1.5mm widest..

1.5mm? Isn't that a little bigger then the Grand Canyon?
sarcasm.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I do pay the full retail and do expect anything in perfect...but...
cloud.gif

dude if u paid retail and its not up to par, go to the maker and have them fix it or at least knock off some cash, maybe get credit for next order... there has to be some quality control and standards!

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
dude if u paid retail and its not up to par, go to the maker and have them fix it or at least knock off some cash, maybe get credit for next order... there has to be some quality control and standards!

I agree completely, why even bother to fix it or ask if it is OK? If you paid all that money for the goods and you think they don't meet your expectations or are somehow defective, you just go back there and knock
boxing[1].gif
down some heads till you are satisfied.
bigstar[1].gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, we need to come back to an age-old/controversial question: How is Carmina's quality?
fight[1].gif
teacha.gif

IronRock

Reaction score
Oh come on! That isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference to how the show wears!

If you feel strongly about it I would take the shoe to your cobbler and get them to remove (the replaceable, for obvious reasons) rubber pad and put another on that fills that 1.5mm gap! It'll be cheaper and quicker than re-packaging and sending back to HK.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. it doesn't feel loose, but just looks not that well made..
eh.gif

Originally Posted by sinnedk

Originally Posted by Jim Barns
I agree completely, why even bother to fix it or ask if it is OK? If you paid all that money for the goods and you think they don't meet your expectations or are somehow defective, you just go back there and knock
boxing[1].gif
down some heads till you are satisfied.
bigstar[1].gif

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
It's a glitch in the finishing of a superb pair of shoes. However it will not make any material difference to the way in which the shoe wears.

I fully appreciate the way you feel, I would sent pics to the retailer expressing your concern and dissatisfaction, suggesting you are compensated. I would make the point to ensure manufacturers like Carmina (or similar) understand that customers will not accept such imperfections.

If I were in your place I would keep the shoes as they are rather than sending them back and waiting for a new pair/fixed pair to be sent out.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF has a very relaxed attitude towards brands which are SF approved. I am sure reactions would have been quite different had it been AE or something like that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This whole thread is fail. I think they are fine. That rubber piece is made to come out and be replaced. A tiny gap right there is not going to affect the shoe at all. You are going to walk on them and they will wear down anyway and need to be replaced. I think this is nitpicking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads