1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this shirt wearable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Apr 21, 2005.

1. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Anyone who derides this shirt has no idea what they're talking about. Shirts like this have been sex symbols for 40 years, popularized by the most famous ladies man of them all. One frilly silk cravat - There she is. [​IMG]

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I could see this shirt only as part of a rock concert costume in the late sixties and early seventies. If I'm not mistaken, David Bowie wore something like this at several concerts, and for some reason, I thought I saw something like this being worn by Cream. Could be totally off though. I'd like to say that this belongs strictly in "Men's Clothing" and not in streetwear, which one poster (Ken?) defined as clothing you wouldn't worry about being in a brawl in. Personally, I'm not sure that I agreed with this definition. FOr one, I gave up brawling quite a few years ago, so I'm not sure I could judge my wardrobe by this criterion. But I guess that if someone messed up my Yoko Devereaux jacket and stomped on my Miharas on purpose, I might have to take a swing... [​IMG]

3. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

I don't mind the overall Austin Powers look, but I would go for a darker blue in the jacket and two buttons rather than the three or four that he seems to favor.

Are his outfits supposed to be funny?

4. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I think I'd go with 3 buttons but would not let the jabot out of the suit. I'd just pull it up to give it a bit of volume.

5. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I guess the two are used as synonyms. If it's not conservative then it must be gay.
    But since many people would equate gay with properly dressed, gay must be something of a compliment.

Mathieu

6. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH................ [​IMG]

7. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

Yes.

8. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

You can have a sword cane made by this South African maker. I have two and the workmanship is superb. http://www.swordcane.com/

9. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

I've worn such a shirt during my TV appearances on many an occasion.

10. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

dont know about those shirts but that stilleto cane is remarkable.

11. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

These swordcanes look pretty good. I was expecting them to be a lot more than 18oz. It seems like you could really use it without too much difficulty.

So much hatred of the frilly shirts. They don't even seem particularly bizarre to me.

Out of curiousity, is there anyone who wears unusual or flamboyant clothing of some kind or another here? I don't own a shirt like that, but I certainly would if I found one in my size, with a slim-fit and decent fabric. I almost had one custom-made for me by this punk tailor in Hong Kong, but I was running low on cash.
    Frankly, when I am walking around the streets of Manhatten or, to a far far greater extent, Boston, I am overwhelmed by the monotony of people's costumes.
    I do see men wearing punctiliously correct outfits business attire, with beautifully matched ties and shirts etc. I am able to appreciate the fine taste here. It is preferable to the armies in ill-fitting suits or baggy jeans. Certainly, the "tasteful" kind of man means to impress by means of his subtlety. I see that. But it is not exactly facinating. It doesn't enliven the street scene for me.
    When you're in a place like Berlin, London, or Tokyo, the situation is different. There are ways to be well-dressed beyond either a hoody, premium jeans, and a blazer or a custom suit and T&A type shirt. Everyone under thirty seems to be trying to create his own work of art with the clothing he chooses. If you're into style, walking around the streets in these places is actually interested. Hell, I'm more interested by the way people dress in China than in the States. Sometimes it seems like the only permitted forms of dress are jeans or a suit here in the States.
    From whence this need to conform stylistically in the land of individualism?

12. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

Perhaps it is just that we know how to work hard here in the States. [​IMG]

13. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

or, it's that we're not in so very much need of attention.

c'mon, the frilly shirt thing - it's a costume, not regular clothes. it works if you want to 'look creative', whatever that means. as an architect, i feel that i'm plenty creative, but i simply don't feel a need to go flouncing around covered in attention-grabbing attire. to me that's a sign of insecurity.

that said, i might wear it if i were a rock star or a cooking-battle host. (allez cuisine, kaga.)

/andrew

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I would have to say it is wearable but only if you move in certain circles.

The fashion or art circles for example.

If you are a stock broker then no.

15. Lindsay

Lindsay Senior member

uhm, no, unless you're attending a costume party.

16. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I Robert Plant was seen wearing a shirt like that back in the day.

Therefore, it must be cool. Definitely wearable in 1969.