• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this shirt too big?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i just picked up a western-y shirt from H&M. i'm usually a medium, but i liked the shirt and the only had larges, so i tried one on and it didn't seem too bad. i'm realizing that it might be a *bit* too big. i'm a relative n00b to the world of style, so please give me your opinions.
thanks much!
-wmmk

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Yeah, a bit. If you don't plan on taking it back or putting it on B&S, you can roll up the sleeves or wear a jacket over it. I think either of those would help a little.

ingraman

Reaction score
Chances are if you wash it it'll get smaller. I always buy my cotton clothes slightly larger to compensate.

slaani

Reaction score
It's fine. If it shrinks in the wash at all, though, so much the better.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Wash hot, dry high. A little shrinkage will fix the problem.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, epic! would it be vain to spend $10-15 getting the sides taken in on a $25 shirt?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Make that shirt look like a million bucks.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
it looks fine, but it's obviously not slim. don't get it altered, keep it as-is or get rid of it. the shoulders are a little big and the collar seems huge, which you can't alter.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
If you are only using it in casual situations, will the fit problem really matter much?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh, i'll just try to find a medium at H&M then. i live near a few.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
You guys should buy clothes to fit you, not to shrink them. If you just hang dry them and wash in cold water, your clothes shouldn't shrink much. I don't put any of my clothes i care about through the dryer.

Agreed. Not to mention they'll end up lasting a hell of a lot longer. Though, I do usually run my nice cotton stuff for about 5-10 min in the dryer on low to make it so they wrinkle less when hanged. The gym/ bball clothes run the full time cus it easier than worrying about hang-dry.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders are droopy, and even though it looks like you're sagging your jeans quite a bit, the shirt still manages to cover most of the top block. Pull your pants up, and the problem gets worse. Even tailoring won't solve the shoulder issue, but selling the shirt will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads