• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this restaurant policy unusual?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For lunch we went to a local Japanese place.

They did a 10.80euro anything you want off the restricted menu deal.

Here's the catch: if you ordered more than you could eat, you had to pay for the uneaten food, anything from 3euros to 25.

Fortunately we each ordered antipasto, contorno of rice, and a main, of which we ate everything ordered.

Until recently they did the 10.80euro deal but each choice was included , whether you ate it or not.
I guess with this new deal people are tempted to order more than they can eat then have to pay when they can't eat everything.

Anyone else experienced this?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of something like this. Is it supposed to be an all you can eat or one meal of each (entree, main course etc.)? I don't think this policy is permitted. It's ridiculous.
In which country did you eat?

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
I've heard of this at all you can eat places before. They do it to stop people just ordering everything off the menu and then only eating half of it. What it basically means is you get all you can eat for the price, but anything you order that you can't eat, you have to pay for. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never heard of this before.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard of this at all you can eat places before. They do it to stop people just ordering everything off the menu and then only eating half of it. What it basically means is you get all you can eat for the price, but anything you order that you can't eat, you have to pay for. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

No it's ridiculous. Then don't call it all you can eat. Limit it to a certain amount of dishes. If there are people who order 20 meals and just eat 3 of them, that's too bad, but it happens. You have to involve it in the calculation. There always are people who behave asocial. You can't avoid that by forcing people to eat what they ordered. What if the dish tastes awful? What if you thought you would need three dishes but unfortunately notice that you are full after the 2nd one? Keep on eating? Try to take the dish to the toilet and flush it? Cmon, this is prepostrous.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
Um, no, you pay for it. Why should the restaurant pay for 20 meals if you only eat 2 of them? Especially if you know what it's like on the way in. The way it tends to work is you order one at a time

It's all you can eat because if you can eat 20 dishes then you get 20 dishes. If you can only eat 3 then you get 3. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this at all you can eat sushi places for the nigiri - $1 for each ball of rice you don't eat.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Golden Corral doesn't have this policy.

heartworm

Reaction score
Seen it some places in Europe and a lot in Asia... I think it's fair enough, it's better than everyone paying extra for a few people who abuse the offer.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've eaten at these places before. seems reasonable. I know it made me think twice about ordering things I probably wasn't going to finish. Its not like a buffet, everything is made to order

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've eaten at these places before. seems reasonable. I know it made me think twice about ordering things I probably wasn't going to finish. Its not like a buffet, everything is made to order

This. Especially sushi restaurants.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite

Never heard of something like this. Is it supposed to be an all you can eat or one meal of each (entree, main course etc.)? I don't think this policy is permitted. It's ridiculous.
In which country did you eat?

IT. means Italy

Anyway, never seen it before.
I guess they save money as the previous prix fixe menu was the same price and you got each course served whether you could eat it or not.

kicno10

Reaction score
I had this happen to me at an all-you-can eat sushi buffet place. They had this little tiny sign that said 3EUR for every piece of sushi you take but don't eat. I didnt see that until after them meal though so I was eating the fish and about 1/3 of the rice that came with each piece (so I could eat wayyyy more fish obviously). So by the end of the meal I had an plate with an entire mountain of rice on it lol. They were pissed. I told them I wasn't going to pay 20 extra euros for rice that cost them like 7 cents. This was in Germany BTW. In the end I didn't pay the extra money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads