• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this plaid suit too dated to be worn?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I was thinking that the pants themselves migh be OK, but that with the jacket and large lapels, the suit may be too dated to be worn today. Opinion?

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the pattern and lapels are not really the problem, they look bearable to me. The problem is the cheap-looking machine stitching 1/2" from all the edges. And the cut/silhouette, though that may be in part because of it having both buttons done up.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of broad-check ugly 1970s suit that we English still often associate with badly dressed Americans. Before finding Styleforum I thought that they were a thing of the past and that even most/all Americans had finally seen the light and consigned them to the past in full denial that they had ever owned such a monstrosity. I remain amazed that anyone, much less ostensibly style-minded individuals, would harbour any desire to wear such a thing, but these suits, along with their equally hideous cousins the 'grandma coats', seem to pop up on here with alarming regularity.

PT I admire your restrained outfits much more than your avant garde ventures. Leave this thing where it belongs, in the decade that fashion forgot.

viator

Reaction score

This is the kind of broad-check ugly 1970s suit that we English still often associate with badly dressed Americans. Before finding Styleforum I thought that they were a thing of the past and that even most/all Americans had finally seen the light and consigned them to the past in full denial that they had ever owned such a monstrosity. I remain amazed that anyone, much less ostensibly style-minded individuals, would harbour any desire to wear such a thing, but these suits, along with their equally hideous cousins the 'grandma coats', seem to pop up on here with alarming regularity.
PT I admire your restrained outfits much more than your avant garde ventures. Leave this thing where it belongs, in the decade that fashion forgot.

Quit beating around the bush. What do you really think of it?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may look good on a clown from a Steven King movie.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yellow shirt, orange satin striped tie isn't doing it any favors.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not every suit needs peak lapels and vintage is perfectly fine once in awhile.
PT's sense of play is being underrated here. In my books he has already earned the 'Balls Of Steel' award.
Try a shirt in sky blue and add shoes in tan, cognac, burgundy or black cherry. Heck even brown spectators will work.
Why not also try one of your dark and bold Hermes print ties? ..and a hat! This suit is going to be fun PT.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, burn the thing and do not admit to having owned it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Together as a suit or the pieces worn separately, it looks too dated.

F. Corbera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the pants aren't bell bottoms.

I kinda like the pattern. :hide:

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.