• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this picture of the c&j grosvenor?

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the following shoes for quite some time now, was going to buy from England, but saw the price go down again.
grosvenor.jpg
First question. I would assume this is the C&J Grosvenor, but has anyone been to a Brooks store to confirm this? Second question. Does anyone know how this particular shoe fits in terms of width? Normal, narrow, wide? Thanks in advance for any input.

shoreman80

Reaction score
Just from looking, the toe on the C&J pic is more squared or chiseled. But that's just my cursory glance...
confused.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It could possibly be the same model on a different last per Brooks' specifications. They certainly would order enough to get what they want. The consensus has seemed to be that those Peals are, in fact, C&J (I've not seen them in person and couldn't add much if I had.).

Are the old Peal lasts in use at all, or does Brooks simply use the house lasts of their subcontractors?

JohnMS

Reaction score
Good point about having different lasts but the same shoe, I hadn't thought of that.

I would imagine this Peal at $215 is a much better bargain than an Allen Edmonds at the same price.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i haven't examined them in person, but I was under the impression that the new generation of Peals was being done by Alfred Sargent, am I mistaken?

Duveen

Reaction score
Hi TCN, Please see this link for a summary of the current state of knowledge.  Basically, while Sargent undoubtedly makes some of the Peal shoes there appears to be wide consensus that others are made by C&J to benchgrade (not handgrade) standards. Hope that helps. John MS, I believe I was one of the people saying that the BB Peal shoe looked like the Grosvenor.  It may not be - I thought of the Grosvenor as having a more rounded toe - viz. this  photo at Pediwear.  The more recent C&J catalogue photo does indeed show a more chiseled toe.  Could be the vagaries of photography, or a change in the toe box for stylistic reasons.  Good luck thinking about those shoes.  I like the shape of the Savile much better, but I am tempted to snap up the BB monks...

wicozani

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the following shoes for quite some time now, was going to buy from England, but saw the price go down again.
grosvenor.jpg
First question. Â I would assume this is the C&J Grosvenor, but has anyone been to a Brooks store to confirm this? Second question. Â Does anyone know how this particular shoe fits in terms of width? Â Normal, narrow, wide? Thanks in advance for any input.
I've tried this shoe on at the Brooks store near Mazza Galleria in Washington, DC two weeks ago. It is a very nice shoe and runs to the wide side. I have flat, somewhat wide feet, and there was adequate room in the 11D, "11" being my standard size. I have just ordered a pair in brown from the website. You can always return them to Brooks if they don't fit. Jeff

JohnMS

Reaction score
Jeff,

Thanks for the information on fitting. I've ordered a number of Peal shoes in the past, all fit me too narrow. I appreciate the input.

How does the brown color look in person?

John

wicozani

Reaction score
Jeff,

Thanks for the information on fitting.  I've ordered a number of Peal shoes in the past, all fit me too narrow.  I appreciate the input.

How does the brown color look in person?

John
The brown, as I recall, looks very much like the picture. In other words, not chocolate brown, which I do not prefer, but rather with some red in the mix. I was prepared to buy them at the boutique at 25% off, but of course am very glad now that I waited. $214.80 is imho a very good value for this shoe.

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads