• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this particular navy suit too dark for brown museum calf Lobbs

newyorknoir

Reaction score
In natural lighting you can tell the suit is navy, but in dimmer lighting and at night it could be and has been mistaken for black. It's a wool/silk blend that gives off a little bit of a dull sheen, which could contribute to a darker appearance in certain lighting. I notice that the suit is usually a shade or two darker than many other navy suits I see.. Anyway, on thursday I am going to Lobb and have to decide whether to buy the City II in dark brown museum calf (which I like better) or black. I just need a quick opinion on whether I could pull off the dark brown with this particular suit alone..

here is the true color of the suit (first pic with flash, second outside on a sunny day).. as you can see, the color matches up with the navy socks.. i'm wearing black ferragamo loafers in the first pic and ferragamo captoes in the other.. they have actually served me well, and polish up nicely with Saphir, but i'd like to step my shoe game up.

Thanks, and I will post pics of the new Lobbs, whichever I decide is best for this suit!

Last edited:

newyorknoir

Reaction score
and actually, if it helps, here is what the suit sometimes looks like inside, almost indistinguishable from black.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of your pictures look navy too me, but what exactly is wrong with it being "too dark navy" to wear with brown museum calf? I mean if its really bothering you then wear the pants in when you go to buy the shoes so you can see exactly how the colors will look with each other but i don't really see this being much of a issue

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think brown museum calf and a navy suit would be considered ideal by most members here.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean if it helps you, i used to wear pewter museum calf with midnight navy all the time and those two are an even greater contrast than what you are proposing. But like the above poster said this is SF and people on here like adding a bit of "character" into their outfits. What should really matter is weather you like the look or not

newyorknoir

Reaction score
I think brown museum calf and a navy suit would be considered ideal by most members here.

I mean if it helps you, i used to wear pewter museum calf with midnight navy all the time and those two are an even greater contrast than what you are proposing. But like the above poster said this is SF and people on here like adding a bit of "character" into their outfits. What should really matter is weather you like the look or not

Thanks, I do like navy suits with brown shoes more than black, but because my suit is so dark and looks almost black at times (which would not work with brown shoes) I was unsure.. I will definitely get the brown though, so thank you for the reassurance.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads