• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Park Avenue fit correct?

wohwoh

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on whether or not this fit is correct?

I did the fit guide that Allen Edmond provided and my biggest foot measured to be 7 in length and in the middle of E EE for width.

Here are pictures of me with the 7E:

Does the V gap indicate I should be in width EE or will the gap close eventually after I have broken into these shoes? I feel like the E is the correct size because it will stretch a little eventually while the EE would be too big to start with. What's your opinion on this?

Also, whenever I walk with these shoes, they tend to crease around this area:

Is creasing normal and is it creasing at the right area? These are my first real dress shoes and want to be sure everything is correct.
shog[1].gif

Thank you!

P.S. I would try on the EE, but I am still awaiting for their arrival.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should go up a size in width or play around with it at least because the area in between the laces is much too wide. It is supposed to be completely (or at least close to it) closed on an oxford shoe.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the ball of the foot in the proper place (the widest part of the shoe? Does your heel slip at all?

wohwoh

Reaction score
You should go up a size in width or play around with it at least because the area in between the laces is much too wide. It is supposed to be completely (or at least close to it) closed on an oxford shoe.
Will do! Hopefully the EE has a better fit.

Is the ball of the foot in the proper place (the widest part of the shoe? Does your heel slip at all?
Yes. The heel does not seem to slip.

Looking for more opinions.
smile.gif

Scottyb06

Reaction score
I can offer you this - my current situation: I've purchased two pairs of AE's both on the #5 last: a pair of black Hastings (11.5 D) and a pair of Walnut Strands (11.5 E). I was measured at Nordstroms as it is not especially easy to visit the single AE store downtown. The shoe fitter at Nordstroms said that I was most certainly an 11.5 D - even on a somewhat narrow shoe like the #5 last. So, I purchased a pair of Hastings from Nordstrom's Rack. While I really like them, they do seem a bit narrow at the widest part of the shoe, even after 1.5 months of wear (roughly twice per week at work). I tried on a pair of 11.5D Strands and they seemed even narrower so I purchased a pair of 11.5 E's from the Shoe Bank (fantastic service, by the way!). The 11.5E's seem great width-wise near the widest part of the shoe, however, they seem a bit too wide near my heel and between my heel and ball. They're not uncomfortable or anything nor do I regret the purchase. My "V'" is a bit tighter than yours on the Strands. I'm wondering if I should actually go down half a size and go even wider - an 11 EE. But, I'm concerned that the ball area will be fine the the heel area will be even larger. Arrgghh! In May I'll be in Wisconsin and plan to visit a shoe bank to try on multiple sizes of various lasts (and hopefully not piss off the sales people). I frankly don't have the time to order multiple pairs and send back pairs which don't fit and very much prefer to buy shoes online when they are on clearance.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Conversely, there is an acceptable allowance of separation. Some gents, myself included, have high insteps and, depending on the make and last, may not be physically able to close the lacing without experiencing pain. The pant leg covers the lacing anyway. True though, the purists will want this lacing as closed as possible.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is the creasing in the right place on his shoe? That's about where mine is on Park Avenues.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the creasing in the right place on his shoe? That's about where mine is on Park Avenues.

It appears as such, yes. You are both fine. :)

wohwoh

Reaction score
I can offer you this - my current situation: I've purchased two pairs of AE's both on the #5 last: a pair of black Hastings (11.5 D) and a pair of Walnut Strands (11.5 E). I was measured at Nordstroms as it is not especially easy to visit the single AE store downtown. The shoe fitter at Nordstroms said that I was most certainly an 11.5 D - even on a somewhat narrow shoe like the #5 last. So, I purchased a pair of Hastings from Nordstrom's Rack. While I really like them, they do seem a bit narrow at the widest part of the shoe, even after 1.5 months of wear (roughly twice per week at work). I tried on a pair of 11.5D Strands and they seemed even narrower so I purchased a pair of 11.5 E's from the Shoe Bank (fantastic service, by the way!). The 11.5E's seem great width-wise near the widest part of the shoe, however, they seem a bit too wide near my heel and between my heel and ball. They're not uncomfortable or anything nor do I regret the purchase. My "V'" is a bit tighter than yours on the Strands. I'm wondering if I should actually go down half a size and go even wider - an 11 EE. But, I'm concerned that the ball area will be fine the the heel area will be even larger. Arrgghh! In May I'll be in Wisconsin and plan to visit a shoe bank to try on multiple sizes of various lasts (and hopefully not piss off the sales people). I frankly don't have the time to order multiple pairs and send back pairs which don't fit and very much prefer to buy shoes online when they are on clearance.

Thank you. From my experience, the Nordstroms employees aren't very knowledgeable about shoes. I think for the both of us, we should try out EE to see how it fits first.

Conversely, there is an acceptable allowance of separation. Some gents, myself included, have high insteps and, depending on the make and last, may not be physically able to close the lacing without experiencing pain. The pant leg covers the lacing anyway. True though, the purists will want this lacing as closed as possible.

In your opinion, does my situation fall into the acceptable range?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In your opinion, does my situation fall into the acceptable range? 

I'll put it to you this way, I have several pair of balmorals that I cannot lace completely closed. I am not concerned about it in the least. Take one more photo of these shoes on but this time with pants. That will settle it.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it bothers you and you don't mind getting a different size, go for it.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it bothers you and you don't mind getting a different size, go for it.

ykurtz

Reaction score
The Park Avenue last is one of the narrower AE lasts....usually one will need to go wider than the pure measurements would indicate. That said, assuming the measurements were correct, you may want to consider a different shoe. Some lasts just don't work on some feet....you end up having to go much wider and end up with slippage, or much longer, which gives you clown feet.

wohwoh

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend another formal interview shoes? Preferably something by AE.

konda

Reaction score
wohwoh if that last feels good, then the last IS good. But seeing how much gap you have in the laces, your instep is most likely too high for the AE 5-65 last. Try the 3-333 last as it is better for a high instep. Here is one shoe:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7613_1_40000000001_-1

Personally I use the same width and length in both the 5-65 and the 3-333 last but need tongue pads on the 3-333.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads