• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this pair of AE fake?

LaymanX

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't know.. something feels 'off' here. The fact that it's marked as Hampstead, but look nothing like AE Hampsteads, the fact that I can't seem to match this model to anything on Nordstrom or AE's website..

Am I crazy here?
eh.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the details look like AEs. It would be really hard to replicate all those details and not worth the money for someone to make a knockoff that accurately. But yeah, that's not a Hampstead. Maybe they reused that name for the current model? Perhaps they put the wrong name on the sole and someone bought them for cheap because of this. You can contact AE and ask what model it really is. The numbers on the inside should help.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's certainly real AE... If you have concerns about the model name just call AE. It may have been a mistake, model name reused, etc, etc. - they'll be MORE than happy to help you out on this, I can tell you from personal experience.

The current Hampstead is the "strawfut remake" I believe, and is a very recent incarnation - so my money is on its being a discontinued model with the same name.

I really wish AE didn't reuse names like that - it's confused me on more than one occasion.
plain.gif

LaymanX

Reaction score
Thanks for both your responses! I decided not to bid (big shopping trip in Chicago coming up), so if anyone wants a decent deal on NIB AE's, go nuts..
smile.gif

zach_a

Reaction score
99% sure that auction is actually for the Redding.

That pair looks just like the ones in my closet. There are definitely pairs of AEs out there with the wrong name on the footbed - not all of them seconds. Not sure what was going on at the factory but I've seen it happen on multiple occasions in the past few years.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yep, no reason to believe it's fake. Maybe a factory defect (wrong name) or old model with same name.

Originally Posted by TheWGP
[...]

I really wish AE didn't reuse names like that - it's confused me on more than one occasion.
plain.gif

I recently looked through an old AE catalog and saw that they used to call a pair of plain-toe bluchers Park Avenues. Confusing indeed.

Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
AE is AE -- not worth faking.

Agreed. I consider AE quality, but it's not a designer good. It's usually designer goods (where people pay as much or more for the label as for the actual quality) that faking is actually a feasible proposition for scammers.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoe advertised in your link is in fact, the AE 'Halsted', a captoed blucher, though the ad and shoe insole reads 'Hampstead'. the shoes appear to be perfect but had the wrong labeled insole, which made it a factory second. Nothing wrong with these shoes at all and a great price. AE Halstead looks like this...
471178567_tp.jpg
An actual AE 'Hampstead' is a balmoral weave wingtip that looks like this...
allen149590_58355_jb.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads