• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this normal? Shoe heel only touches the floor at the most forward point.

velvel87

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillsborough's online new in box but something is off with the heel. Is this normal/can it be easily fixed through just wearing them? The heel only touches the ground at its most forward point. It will lay flat-ish if I put the shoes on, but I feel the added pressure by the most forward point of the heel. Any thoughts?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did not realize how joyful he was. But I am curious as to the answer. I've never seen this but I recognize there are others far more experienced than i.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It may be normal for some manufacturers but...in my opinion...it is not "best practices."

Mica2015

Reaction score
First of all, Recap: http://www.styleforum.net/t/69958/proper-heel-height

Second of all, I have the same experience recently, but the manufacturer said it's normal and will go away with wear. However, my heel is not as lifted as yours are. Please see the picture below.

Final call, return them if you feel uncomfortable. The issue, whether the lifted heel is a defection or style, has no conclusion yet.

velvel87

Reaction score

First of all, Recap: http://www.styleforum.net/t/69958/proper-heel-height Second of all, I have the same experience recently, but the manufacturer said it's normal and will go away with wear. However, my heel is not as lifted as yours are. Please see the picture below. Final call, return them if you feel uncomfortable. The issue, whether the lifted heel is a defection or style, has no conclusion yet.
Thanks! Allen Edmonds got back to me after sending them the shoes. They said it could happen if shoes are left unworn for a long period of time, but it should be undone after wearing them a few times. What are you going to end up doing? Keeping or returning?

velvel87

Reaction score
Sent it to Allen Edmonds and they said this can happen if the shoes are sitting around on their side for a long time. In this case it was several years. The shoes overall look and feel great and they will even out from wearing them.

Got them for a great deal so I really can't go wrong. Also, I like the sleek styling on these, although I'd prefer a penny loafer with this sole, but I'll be just fine with these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads